cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member
Solved

Cannot open company file

Message says: "The file specified cannot be opened.  Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or is a read-only file". "The Windows error is 'The file exists'. OK"

Clicked OK 30 times; message keeps reappearing.

Must go to Task Manager to exit QuickBooks.

Ran latest version of File Doctor; no help.

Have two other company files; they work fine.

QB Desktop Pro 2018 Release R9P

Windows 10

Best answer 12-17-2018 12:40 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Re: Cannot open company file

Hi there, @JPB1.

Thank you for providing the detailed information about your concern. I can help you get past The file exists error when trying to open your company file.

This error popups when there's a misconfiguration on the Internet Explorer security settings, firewall settings or system date and time settings. To fix it, follow the solutions below:

1. Run QuickBooks as Administrator. Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your Desktop and select Run as Administrator.
  2. Verify the system date and time settings. Click the time display on your system tray and select Change date and time settings. Then, make sure the date and time is correct.
  3. Add Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders.
  4. Verify the Microsoft Internet Explorer settings.
  5. Check your third-party firewall.

For the detailed steps, look into this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Error-15240-The-update-did-not-complete-succ....

You should be able to open your company file and get back to business. Please let me know how things go once you've tried the process. I'm always here to help. Have a great day!

12 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @JPB1.

Thank you for providing the detailed information about your concern. I can help you get past The file exists error when trying to open your company file.

This error popups when there's a misconfiguration on the Internet Explorer security settings, firewall settings or system date and time settings. To fix it, follow the solutions below:

1. Run QuickBooks as Administrator. Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your Desktop and select Run as Administrator.
  2. Verify the system date and time settings. Click the time display on your system tray and select Change date and time settings. Then, make sure the date and time is correct.
  3. Add Windows permissions to QuickBooks installation folders.
  4. Verify the Microsoft Internet Explorer settings.
  5. Check your third-party firewall.

For the detailed steps, look into this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Error-15240-The-update-did-not-complete-succ....

You should be able to open your company file and get back to business. Please let me know how things go once you've tried the process. I'm always here to help. Have a great day!

Established Member

This did not help me.  I am getting the 6000, 82 error.  Please help.

Thanks,

Cassndra Phillips

QuickBooks Team

I've got more steps to fix the error you're getting, Cassndra Phillips.

Error 6000, -82 indicates that there's an extra space after your company file name, and before the file extension. Another cause of this error is an incorrect set up of the computer to host multi-user access.

Before we begin with the recommended solutions, you'll need to update QuickBooks and run the QuickBooks File Doctor first.

Here's how to update release version:

1. Click Help at the top, and then select Update QuickBooks.
  2. On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Update Now tab.
  3. Put a check mark in the box Reset Update box to erase all previous update downloads. This may increase the amount of time needed for the update.
  4. Select Get Updates.
  5. Restart QuickBooks. When prompted, accept the option to install the new release.

Once you're done with these steps, you can start troubleshooting the error. Here's an article for the complete steps: Error -6000, -82 or -6000, -106 when opening or accessing the company file. Start with Solution 1 and see if it fixes the error. If the same thing happens, proceed with the remaining solutions.

You can always get back to me if you have more questions, or if the error persists. I'll keep an eye out for your reply. Thanks.

i just purchased and downloaded qb 2019 for Mac. I can't open my company file and start using the software. what should i do.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining the discussion, Abdi Shekarchi,

I want to make sure you're able to open your Quickbooks company file.

Before troubleshooting the company file, make sure that QuickBooks is updated to the latest release. See Update QuickBooks Mac Desktop.

Once done, try saving the company file to your Documents or other location and see if it works. If the problem persists on the new drive, I'd recommend getting in touch with our QuickBooks Mac Care Support.

There they can share additional workarounds to help you get back on track. Here's how you can contact them:

1. Go to this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Click the Company File menu.
  4. Scroll down and click the Get Phone Number button.

Please update me on how this goes, Abdi Shekarchi. I'll keep an eye on this post for your response. have a great weekend!

Experienced Member

Wow! I wasted 2 days on the phone with QB support and you helped me fix the problem in a matter of seconds! Thank you so much.

Established Member

I am having this exact problem. The steps to correct are not  working. Everything worked normally yesterday. Need to remedy this today!

Thanks for performing the recommended troubleshooting, Sally6184.

I'm here to help you open your company file.

Let's start by updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release. This will help you download the changes, improvements, and fixes that were made to QuickBooks.

Let me show you how:

1. Select Help at the top menu bar, then choose Update QuickBooks.
  2. Choose Update Now at the top, then check the box next to Reset Update.
  3. Click Get Updates.

If the error persists after trying the steps above, you can repair QuickBooks Desktop to fix program-related issues or errors.

The troubleshooting above should fix the error. Of course, let me know if you need anything else, I'm here to answer them and help you out. Have a good day!

Error message when trying to open company file

Error message -6155,0 or -6189, -816 appears when trying to open company file

QuickBooks Team

Re: Error message when trying to open company file

Thanks for joining the thread, @racrt.

Allow me to chime in for a moment and help fix the error you're getting when opening your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) company file.

To start off, please take note of the following if you're using QBDT in a multi-user environment:

• Your data file is not stored on a network drive.
  • You are not using a file sharing service.
  • You are not using an encryption software on your computer.

To fix this, please follow the steps below:

1. Restart each computer that has access to your company file.
2. If your data is on a server, restart the server.
3. Once done, re-open your QuickBooks company file.

If the issue persists, you can check out this article and proceed to solution 2 for additional troubleshooting steps: Error -6189, 816 when opening a company file.

That should get you fixed right up. Please let me know how it goes or if you have any follow-up questions so I can get back to you. I'm always here to help you out. Take care always!

Experienced Member

I am using the hosted version of QuickBooks and I am getting this error message:

We're sorry. QuickBooks couldn't open your company file.

We'll try to fix the problem. Click Start to begin.

If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report the error code:

Missing name list problem

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for letting us know, @SLaird.

I'm here to help ensure to isolate the error you're getting so you'll able to open your company file, and so you can back to your business right away. 

Let's process troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue, but before doing so let's make sure that your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release. Here's how:

1. From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
  2. On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Update Now tab. You can ignore the table because you don't need to change anything.
  3. (Optional) Put a check mark in the box Reset Update box to erase all previous update downloads. (Note: This may increase the amount of time needed for the update.)
  4. Select Get Updates.
  5. Restart QuickBooks. When prompted, accept the option to install the new release.

Once done, we'll need to verify that only one computer is hosting your company file. Turn off hosting in all computers aside from the server. Here's how:

1. From the QuickBooks File menu, select Utilities.
  2. Select Stop hosting multi-user access. Quick tip: If you see anything other than Stop hosting multi-user access, it mean s hosting is currently turned off on that computer.

If these steps fail to resolve the issue, please visit this article and scroll-down to Solution 1-7 for additional troubleshooting steps: Resolve Problems Opening QuickBooks Desktop or your Company File

Once you've performed the recommended steps and the issue persists, I recommend to contact our QuickBooks Technical Support Team. They have additional tools to do a remote session and investigate this further. 

Here's how you can contact our customer support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

That should do it! Please let me know how it goes. I'll be around to help if you have additional questions about opening QuickBooks company file. Have a good one.