cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Chart of Account setup for new company

I have a company on quickbooks online essential, can I use that exact chart of account setup for another new company I have to setup?

Peet

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Chart of Account setup for new company

Yes, you can use it, Peet.

You can import your Chart of Accounts, and the following requirements must be met.

• The type and detail type must exactly match the types available in QuickBooks Online.
  • The file size limit is 2 MB.
  • Must be in Excel or CSV file, and must have an Account Type and Name fields.
  • The Account numbers should not be left blank and should not be include decimal points.
  • All columns must have heading even if it has no data.
  • You can also import sub-accounts by using the parent account name. Followed by a colon and then by the sub-account name (example: parent:sub-account).

Make sure that the details below must be observed to avoid any error interruptions. 

• The headings in column A-D are: Account Number, Account Name, Account Type, and Detail Type.
  • Every column has a heading . If not, entering headings should clear the error.
  • There should be no heading and column in the sheet for Description.

Once your file meet all of these, then your good to import your Chart of Accounts.

Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon, then select Import Data.
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Click Browse, then select the file, and then Open.
  4. Hit Next.
  5. Adjust your data if necessary, then click Import.

I have attached here articles that can help about your Chart of Accounts.

I'm just a post away if you need further help in importing your Chart of Accounts. Have a good day!