cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sightglassking
Level 1

Cleaning up old transactions

I would like to "hide" all transactions before 1/1/19. I took over this company and i have invoices and unpaid invoices going back years that i just want to zero out.

3 Comments 3
MirriamM

Welcome to the Community, sightglassking,

I'm here to help about cleaning transactions in QuickBooks Desktop.

To get this resolve, you can use the updated Condense feature which provides an option to remove the audit trail and reduces your file size but leaves all the detailed transactions. 

To get started, here's what you'll need to do:

1. Click File menu at the top, then choose Utilities.
  2. Click Condense Data.
  3. Go through the wizard and choose the options that you need.
  4. Choose Begin Condense. Before Condensing starts, QuickBooks will create a backup and an archive copy.

Keep in mind that the Period Copy feature is only available in Premier Accountant and QuickBooks Enterprise versions. This is a condensed version of your company file that only contains data for a specific period. To create a period copy, follow these steps:

1. Click File menu at the top, then choose Utilities.
  2. Click Condense Data.
  3. On the What transactions do you want to remove? window, choose Transactions outside of a date range (to prepare a period copy of the company file).
  4. Set the correct dates for the Remove transactions before and after the filter.
  5. Go through the wizard and choose the options that you need.

Once done, try opening your company file again and check the transactions.

For more detailed steps, you can check this article for guidelines: Use the Condense Data utility.

Please don't hesitate to reach back out if you have further questions in managing your transactions. Have a great day!

sightglassking
Level 1

Thank you for getting back to me. I am not seeing "Utilities" under the File button. I am using QuickBooks Enterprise Manufacturing & Wholesale 17.0

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @sightglassking.

I'd be glad to help you today so you'll be able to access/see the Utilities tab under the File menu.

If you're using QuickBooks Desktop for Windows, you should be able to see the Utilities menu or button under File by following the steps provided by my colleague MirriamM. For further details, you can see attached screenshot below.

c4 condense data.PNG

However, if you can't still access this menu, I recommend checking your access. It's possible that you're not log in as admin or you may be restricted to access this tool.

To check the access you're currently in, you can follow this steps:

1. Click on Company at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Users.
  3. Click on View Users....

If the problem continues, I recommend getting in touch with our Support Team to check and investigate this further securely. For the support's contact information, you may check it here: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

Let me know if you have any other questions about clearing up your old transactions, I'll be always here to help you. Have a great day ahead!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us