cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *

Clearing Old Deposits and Checks without Reconciling

I recently took over the accounting for a small business. The previous accountant did not use the reconciliation feature within Quickbooks. I however do. I need to know how to clear out all the old transactions so they will not show up when I go to perform a reconciliation for a recent statement. I don't want them to necessary show up as reconciled, but I don't want transactions from 2014 showing up that I have to scroll through. Any assistance will be appreciated. 

1 Comment
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Clearing Old Deposits and Checks without Reconciling

You have to Complete a Reconciliation, so that the status is Cleared. That's why and how they stop showing, next time.

"The previous accountant did not use the reconciliation feature within Quickbooks"

If they were good at their work, it will reconcile just fine when you do it.

Example:

Start with Dec 2018 statement. Ignore that beginning balance; you know it doesn't apply to the task at hand this First time.

You will see Recent Spending entries that you know are not on that statement from that Dec, and maybe even Nov. But Deposits typically clear in a few days at most, and Debit card activity clears daily. So, Checkmark all Older transactions, too.

If you are off, that is either your own current entries (well, current for starting from Dec 2018), or the prior accountant was Not Good at their job, after all   Smiley Happy

That means you make One Deposit or One Check posting against Equity, to bring this bank into Balance to that Statement Date and that Ending Balance.

If the tax year 2018 hasn't been filed, you might start at Dec 2017.