cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *
Solved

Create a Progress Invoice showing Payments Made and Progress of Work Done

I am trying to create a custom invoice for a client where we have a contract with and I want to show the progress of the work and the payments that have already been made. 

At this point, I've created an Estimate breaking down the contracted $ amount and items. Using this estimate, I created the first Invoice we sent out in October (we used Excel and now are switching to QB for all invoicing). We received payment on December. We invoiced for 20% of the overall contract amount. Now that that is paid, I want to create a second invoice to send out in January. I want to show the original contract amount, the % billed, the payment received in Dec, and now the additional % of work done, with the amount due. How do I set this up? When I am customizing the "data layout," I see that I can check to add new columns and prog columns, but the problem with that, I don't know how it will affect the invoice. Sometimes it shows up grayed out, and other times, it changes % to decimal, and I have no idea how to tell if a column will subtract or add to the item and how it will affect to total.

Please help. I'm at my wits end. 

Best answer 01-09-2019 03:25 PM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Create a Progress Invoice showing Payments Made and Progress of Work Done

Oh: Grayed Out = this is info QB already finds or is pulling from elsewhere and is not Yours to manually control. It's existing data and informational here, not controlled here. And for the Unshaded columns, when using Progress Invoice, do Not manually change Qty, %, $ here. Use the Progress Chart Icon at the top, to get the Progress Pop up where you pick from each item, for qty, $ and %, and again, in the pop up, some stuff is shaded, because it is Controlled in the Estimate and Displayed in the Pop up for reference.

2 Comments

Payments never show on an invoice. Progress Invoice can be customized to include columns for Previous Charges, as $, % and/or Quantity. That has nothing to do with Payments. Payments are part of Statements and reporting.

So, everything except their Payments, is part of the Scope of Work, Billed to date, remaining scope, etc. Payments is Banking and AR management. Not Scope of Work. It's the Money part Smiley Happy

Oh: Grayed Out = this is info QB already finds or is pulling from elsewhere and is not Yours to manually control. It's existing data and informational here, not controlled here. And for the Unshaded columns, when using Progress Invoice, do Not manually change Qty, %, $ here. Use the Progress Chart Icon at the top, to get the Progress Pop up where you pick from each item, for qty, $ and %, and again, in the pop up, some stuff is shaded, because it is Controlled in the Estimate and Displayed in the Pop up for reference.