cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

Deleting a Sales Order after invoiced

Once I have created an invoice from a Sales Order, I would like to delete the Sales Order. There is no reason to keep it since it was invoiced complete. 

Is this OK to do? Since the Sale Order and Invoice are connected will deleting the Sales Order cause issues?

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Deleting a Sales Order after invoiced

Hi dkiernan1636, can you elaborate what you mean about Sales Order? I don't see that option when I'm in QuickBooks Online. 

Thanks!

Established Member

Hello! Actually we have quickbooks Desktop. 

Thanks for providing us your QuickBooks product, dkiernan1636.

Let me explain how deleting a sales order works in QuickBooks Desktop.

Since a sales order is a non-posting transaction, you can delete it without affecting the invoices. Though, removing it will cause each of the invoices to lose its association with the sales order.

To do this, follow the steps below:

1. At the top menu bar, click Customer.
  2. Go to the Customer Center.
  3. Select Transactions.
  4. Click Sales Orders.
  5. Look for the sales order transactions you want to delete.
  6. Click Delete.
  7. Select Save & Close to apply the changes.

image.png

Check out this article when deleting multiple sales order:

Delete transactions by batch using Batch Delete/Void Transactions (available in QuickBooks Desktop Accountant 2016, Enterprise and Enterprise Accountant 16.0, and later versions).

This article is for US version, however, the information can be used for QuickBooks Desktop Australia.

The details above should help you get pointed in the right direction on deleting a sales order.

Let me know the results after trying the steps above. I’ll be right here to assist if you have any concerns. Best regards.

Established Member

Thanks for this! Our system syncs our website orders as Sales orders in order to not mess up the inventory, but once we are done with the sales order I wanted to delete them to help keep the size of the database down. I just did not want to break anything by doing this, so thanks for the confirmation!