cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quickuser2011
Level 1

Different Invoice Templates for main company name and it's DBA specifically assigned to customers of each respectively?

I have read every post I can find and no one clearly answers this question. What I am trying to clarify is the following:

Company A also does business as Company B as a legally defined DBA or fictitious name. Therefor Company A and Company B have slightly different billing details including different logos, different addresses and different phone numbers. This is done to keep clear separation of two totally different product lines and their respective branding as the products and services again are not similar. They are legally the same company and share the same employees and have one EIN and IRS tax return.

Company A has (x) customers and Company B (x) customers.

What I seem to understand is that according to this post: (Different Invoice templates for different service lines in same businesshttps://community.intuit.com/questions/1726932-different-invoice-templates-for-different-service-lin...

that at least it appears one can create two totally different invoice templates using MS Word and import them into QB Online.

** But what is not clear is now that we have two specifically different designed templates for customers of each respective company name, is can we now somehow assign a specific customer one of the specific invoice templates permanently? It seems possible but I am not sure?

Thanks!

14 Comments 14
Kristine Mae

Different Invoice Templates for main company name and it's DBA specifically assigned to customers of each respectively?

I appreciate the detailed information, quickuser2011.

Yes, you're understanding it right. You can create two totally different invoice templates using MS Word, then import them to the system.

Though, we're unable to assign a specific template to a customer. You'll want to choose the template manually when you create the invoice.

Let me show you how:

1. Click the Plus sign (+) icon.
  2. Choose Invoice.
  3. Click the Customize link, then choose the template.

I also suggest sending feedback. We always want to know our customers' thoughts and what features they want the most. You can do that by clicking the Gear icon, then choosing Feedback. Our software engineers will directly receive the feedback.

Should you have other concerns, I'm just a comment away. Have a great day! 

quickuser2011
Level 1

Thank you for your response...

let me add and ask for further clarification...  what I was also indicating is that the intended logic is that these customers will rarely be invoiced manually and instead be invoiced repeatedly and monthly on the same date and time for recurring based products and services setup upon the customer creation.

So again I know the process would be manual as to select the correct invoice template the first time products and services are added to a customer. But next month when the products and services renew automatically will they be created on the specifically set invoice template set originally?

quickuser2011
Level 1

Basically what invoice template is selected for recurring invoices that are generated automatically from recurring or renewal invoices that are generated without interaction from us?

Is it the default invoice template OR the invoice template set for the products and services upon initial customer creation?

AlcaeusF

Hello quickuser2011,

Thanks for posting in the Community. I'm here to provide information about the template for recurring transactions.

The system will use the template you select upon creating the recurring transaction. You can edit the invoice template and choose what you want to use.

Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Below Lists, click Recurring Transactions.
  3. Search for the template and click Edit.
  4. Select Customize at the bottom (see screenshot below).
  5. Select the desired template.

I've attached a screenshot below for your reference.

The Community has your back whenever you need assistance with the product. Just post a comment by leaving a comment below.

quickuser2011
Level 1

So my understanding, from the responses above, is that my request is an option and can be done as desired.

Charies_M

Thanks for getting back, quickuser2011.

You got it right. You have the option to customize invoice template which will then be automatically use when you create a recurring transaction in QuickBooks Online (QBO). You can follow the steps on how to edit an invoice template as provided above by my colleague @AlcaeusF.

Let me know if you have other clarifications or concerns with recurring transactions in QBO. I'd be glad to answer them for you.

howardjennings
Level 4

Hi

We have 4 of these custom invoice templates that we have been using as described above, perfectly. However, QBO seemed to have either broken it or deliberately removed it as the "Customize" item is no longer visible to standard users, you know, the people that do the work. Only admin users, the people that setup QBO and hardly do any work in it can now select the template to use. Once set, on one but an admin can change it.

What is the point of that?

Have you broken it or have you downgraded QBO?

Are you going to fix it/ put it back?  

MichelleBh

Allow me to share a few details of this experience with your standard users, @howardjennings.

I'll make sure that your standard users can view the custom invoice templates again in no time. So, they can get back where they left off. 

By September, QuickBooks Online customers will be moving from the old/classic invoice/estimate experiences to the new experiences. There's a possibility that your account is included in the update. That's why your standard users are unable to see the custom invoice templates.

With this, I'd recommend sending reviews to our product engineers. Thus, our team will know what your old users encountered about the update. 

Here's how: 

1. Go to the Gear icon and choose Feedback
  2. Type your concern or suggestion in the box. 
  3. Click Next

To know more about the new invoice experience, check out these articles below: 

Remember that you can always ask me about any topics or other processes within QuickBooks. I'm always ready to work with you again. Stay healthy and safe, @howardjennings.

howardjennings
Level 4

Hi

Thanks for your speedy reply, the same year is impressive.

I've had a look and I don't see "NEW" when creating a new invoice, so I guess I'm still on the 'old' system, which I'd like to remain on. Particularly as your new system doesn't allow for multiple templates or custom fields, probably the most important part of invoicing.

I, as an 'Admin' user can access the 'customize' menu, however I very rarely create any invoices. My staff who are all regular users create 1000's of invoices a month and need to select the correct template, now cannot. 

I'm glad that I now have he name of the person that will make sure my users will be able to select the appropriate template again. When will you have it fixed?

MJoy_D

Thank you for posting here in the Community, @howardjennings.

I've checked that you've posted the same question twice and my colleague has already added an answer. If you haven't been notified of the new response, check this link

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to leave a comment below. I'm always here to help.

howardjennings
Level 4

Hi

Are you referring to the solution posted by GeorgiaC in March 2020. If so, that no longer works, which is my problem, it need it to work.

STOPGO
Level 1

I'm having the same issue and it's January 2021.  I have 3 invoice templates options and as Admin I don't do the invoicing and our Standard User can't access this feature.  How is this considered efficient and a good way to run our business?  I was on chat today with a representative and they clearly didn't have any indication that this feature is disabled for Standard Users.  I was instructed to go into the templates and fix them there.  That's not the solution, because when I logged into my employee's account they can see and try to edit the templates, but it won't them save it because of user restrictions.  Honestly after being a Quickbooks Desktop user for over 20 years, this last year of using QBO has been a horror show. 

RoseJillB
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @STOPGO.

Let me make it up to you by sharing some information about user roles in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

The primary user who has access to all aspects of the QuickBooks account is known as the primary admin, as well as the company admin, except for editing or removing the primary admin's access. Users and other administrative activities can be managed by them. The person who created the account in the first place is the primary admin by default.

On the other hand, the standard user can be modified to a variety of levels. Customers, sales, vendors, and expenses can all be handled by them. These users can manage subscriptions, add users, amend company information, and enter timesheets.

Thus, the standard user has limited access compared to the primary and company admin. This included access to edit the templates of the invoices and other types of sales forms.

For more details, you can check out this article about user roles and access rights in QuickBooks Online.

You may also find this article useful when it comes to adding and managing users in QuickBooks Online.

Know that the Community always has your back to assist you further with managing users. I wish your business success. Have a great day!

howardjennings
Level 4

Hi

Let me make it up to you. By starting with a banal comment.

You obviously have no idea what we are talking about. But don't worry, because we have no idea what you are talking about either.

"Let me make it up to you" again, something else you have no idea of the meaning.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us