cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eve2019
Level 5

Discounts

I'm invoicing a customer and I want to give him a discount on one item. The item is worth $200 but I'm giving him a discount of $100.  The item is taxable. Should I change the tax code in quickbooks for the discount to non taxable or taxable. 

Thank you

3 Comments 3
AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Discounts

Glad to have you back here, Eve2019.

You'll want to reach out to your accountant to check if this discount is taxable or not.

Though, I can guide you on how to change the code. Here's how:

1. Open or create an invoice.
  2. On the TAX column, click on the drop-down arrow for that specific item to change the code.
  3. Click Save & Close.

Don't hesitate to post again in the Community if you need more help.

Eve2019
Level 5

Discounts

Yes, thank you. I have change the tax code before. I just wanted to know if discounts should be tax or non tax. 

AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Discounts

Hi there, Eve2019.

Allow me to step in for a moment and provide additional clarification.

While we're unable to confirm whether the discount is taxable or non-taxable, it would be a better idea to reach out to an accounting professional for help choosing the right option.

The Find-A-ProAdvisor site at this link allows you to get in touch with QuickBooks experts in proximity to your ZIP code. Individuals with their profiles published here are certified, knowledgeable, and will certainly have the answer you're looking for.

Please know I'm also available here in the Community should you need anything else at all. Thanks for reaching out, wishing you and your business all the best.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us