cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member

Easy way to apply large amounts of payments

Each month I upload our company's database transactions to QuickBooks (Desktop Enterprise).  When the payments are uploaded they do not apply to invoices.  Is there a way for me to have these payments applied to an invoice without having to spend days going into each payment and applying them separately?

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Easy way to apply large amounts of payments

Good day, @sdseagle7.

It’s nice to see you here in the Community. I have the steps to easily apply payments to your customer invoices in QuickBooks Desktop.

You can match the payments to ones in QuickBooks if you're using Bank feeds to download transactions. See add and match Bank Feed transactions for more information.

If not, you can set QuickBooks to apply payments automatically in the Payments Company Preferences window. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Edit menu and select Preferences.
  2. Click Payments, then Company Preferences.
  3. Check the Automatically apply payments on the Receive Payments section.
  4. Hit OK.

edit 1.PNGedit 2.PNG

Once done, you won't have to manually select each payment and apply them to your existing invoices.

Check out this article for additional information: Resolve common issues when applying payments towards an invoice.

That should get you pointed in the right direction. Let me know if this works out for you, I'm more than happy to help.

Established Member

Thank you for your response!  I have had this setting enabled but the payments are still not being applied. 

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to me, @sdseagle7.

I’d like to add some insight into applying payments to invoices in QuickBooks.

If the downloaded payment transactions are not from Bank feeds or your Payments account, you have to manually apply them to the customer invoices. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Customers menu and select Receive Payments
  2. Select your customer’s name from the list on Received From drop-down.
  3. Make sure the date is correct, then choose the Payment method.
  4. Hit Save & Close.

Take a look at this article for more details: Record payment for an invoice.

That should do it. Reach out to me if you need anything else, I’m always here to help. Have a pleasant day ahead!

Established Member

Thank you.  That will be a huge project for hundreds of transactions on a regular basis.