cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
axe

Formatting a purchase order and a sales order (widths of columns)

Hello, we are trying to change the widths of the columns in our Purchase orders and sales orders. We were able to change the widths of the PO columns, and now it is gone. We cannot change them.

With the sales orders, we were never able to change the widths of the columns.

Can you help us format these 2 forms ? Thanks.

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Formatting a purchase order and a sales order (widths of columns)

Hi there, @axe.

I'm here to assist you with changing the widths of the columns on your purchase order template.

Changing/Expanding the widths of your PO's can be done in few a clicks. Let me guide you how:

1. Click on List at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Templates.
  3. Choose Purchase Order.
  4. Click on Templates.
  5. Select Edit Templates.
  6. Choose Layout Designer.
  7. Then drag the column depending on your desired width.
  8. Click OK to save changes.

Layout.PNGLAYOUT2.PNGlAYOUT3.PNG

To learn more about customizing templates in QuickBooks Desktop, you may refer to this article: Use and customize form templates.

If you need additional assistance, with this process, you may reach out to our Customer Care Team. They have the capability to do a remote-viewing session to guide you through the steps.

This should get you back to business.

Please let me know if you have any other queries with QuickBooks. I'll be around to lend a helping hand. Have a great day.

Experienced Member

Re: Formatting a sales order - Qty Field

We want the Quantity Order column to be CENTER and it keeps reverting to RIGHT Justified.  Is there a way to make this to stay CENTERED.  It was this way before we upgraded to QBE 19.

Robin

Ads Infinitum

QuickBooks Team

Hi @AdsInf,

You can adjust the width of the column to place the Quantity column in the center. Let me guide you how.

Adjusting the width allows you to change how wide the columns are. 

Here's how you can move the Quantity column to the center:

1. From the Basic Customization pop-up, click on Layout Designer.
  2. Adjust the width of each column until the Quantity column is in the center.
  3. Click on OK.

Once done, your template will now show the Quantity column in the center of your template. I've attached a screenshot of a template with the Quantity in the center.

You can always visit our Help Articles for more "How do I" steps in QuickBooks. 

Please know that you can always post again or comment below if you have any other concerns. I'll be around to help.

Experienced Member

Thanks for replying and I appreciate the response.  But thats not my issue.  My issue is Im customizing the sales order and under the column for the Quantity Ordered we want the actual quantity to print in the center of the the column not right justification.  I can go to Layout Designer - and right click the Properties change from right justification to center and it changes.  But when I save and do print preview & print the number in Qualtity Ordered is still showing to the right not centered.

QuickBooks Team

Hi, AdsInf.

Thanks for getting back to us. Let me help you further with formatting the sales order template in QuickBooks Desktop.

I appreciate the screenshot you've provided. You may want to re-order the columns in your template settings to make the quantity printed in the center.

Here's how:

1. Click Lists at the top menu bar and hit Templates.
  2. Double-click the Custom Sales Order to edit.
  3. Click Additional Customization.
  4. Go to Columns.
  5. Select Quantity and change the Order number in 2.
  6. Hit OK.

You may find this article helpful: Use and customize form templates.

Should you need more help in formatting your sales order template in QuickBooks Desktop, don't hesitate to let me know.

Experienced Member

Thats NOT what I needed to know.  What I'm trying to find out is why under SO Customize Data Layout - Layout Design - I change in the Quantity Ordered column for the numbers to print in the center and save but when we go to print the numbers are still printing right justified.

Can some one call me.  I don't want to wait 30 minutes on HOLD.

[removed] or [removed] ext 227

Robin

Ads Infinitum

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @AdsInf.

Thank you for adding more details. Let's create a different Sales Order (SO) template and use it when printing SO with the Quantity numbers in the center.

You might have a corrupt SO Template that causes the issue. Creating and using a different SO template can help us isolate this. With that being said, you can successfully print SO with the Quantity numbers in the center.

You can refer to this article for the detailed steps: Use and Customize Form Templates.

If you get the same result, you can read through this article for more troubleshooting steps when using customized templates: Troubleshoot Common Issues when Using and Customizing Templates.

However, if the issue persists, I'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Care Team. They have the proper tools like screen-sharing to verify what's causing the issue.

To reach them:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message.

That's it! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be around to help.