cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Contributor *

Help! Setting up New Company File After Fiscal Year

Hi All,

I have QB pro 2012 and just purchased QB pro 2019 (for obvious reasons!).

Tomorrow I will be installing QB pro 2019. Since my 2012 company file is old and has so much data, I need to create a new company. BUT, how do you bring the new company file up to date with current sales receipts, purchase orders, bills, etc if QB only allows you to import lists such as vendors?? Please help! Thank you

3 Comments
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: Help! Setting up New Company File After Fiscal Year

Hello there, @jlclark137.

I'd be glad to help share information about installing QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) and updating your company file. 

Once done installing your QuickBooks Pro 2019, you can just restore your 2012 company file to your QuickBooks Pro 2019 so you can continue using the file. Before restoring the file, you must back up your 2012 company file first.

To create a local backup of your file:

1. Switch to single user mode (Select File, click on Switch to Single-user Mode).
  2. From the QuickBooks File menu, select Backup Company then Create Local Backup.
  3. On the Create Backup window, select Local Backup then click the Options button.
  4. On the Backup Options window that appears, click Browse and select the location for the backup copy.
  5. When you have chosen, click OK.
  6. Look over the other options on this page and select any that you like. Click OK when you're done.
  7. In the Create Backup window, click Next.
  8. Choose whether to save your backup now, schedule future backups, or both.

On the other hand, to restore a backup of your company file:

1. Select File at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Open or Restore Company.
  3. Select Restore a backup copy. Then select Next.
  4. Choose Local Backup.Then select Next.
  5. From the Look In drop-down, choose the location of the backup file.
  6. Select the backup file from the folder. The file name should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
  7. Select Open. Then select Next.
  8. From the Save in drop-down, choose the location where you want to save the restored file.
  9. In the File name field, type a new file name. The Save as type field will automatically populate QuickBooks Files (*.QBW).
  10. Select Save.
  11. Carefully read and respond to any messages that appear before restoration begins. 

To learn more and for the detailed instructions, you may check these articles:

On the other hand, if you need further assistance with the process, you can always get in touch with our QBDT Support Team. For the support's contact information, you may check it here: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

As always, please don't hesitate to add a post/comment below if you have any other QuickBooks concerns. I'll be always here to help you however I can.

Community Contributor *

Thank you, but I do not want to re-use my QB 2012 file because it has so much old data and is a large file. This is still helpful information you have provided. But, I'm still looking on info to update the new company file with this year's information.

QuickBooks Team

Thank you for adding a reply, @jlclark137.

Please allow me to help share additional information about updating a new company file with this year's information.

You have the option to create a new company by copying your 2012 file. You can use the Condense Data utility to remove all transactions from the old file. The copy will keep your accounts, lists (customers, vendors, items, etc.), templates, and preferences from the original company.

To copy the existing company file, you can create a backup and restore the file, following the steps provided above. 

QuickBooks won't be able to remove all transactions if you have payroll data in the current year. You can delete the transactions manually or create a new company file instead. After creating a new company file, you can export your lists from your 2012 company and import them to into the new one.

To learn more and for additional reference, you may check these articles: 

Please let me know if you have any other questions about QuickBooks company file by adding a comment below, I'm always here to help you. Have a great day ahead!