cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emco
Level 1

How do I show a partial payments applied to invoices QB self-employed

I submitted an invoice for $40K, I received $21K and expect to receive the rest in 30 days.  How do I enter the receipt fo the $21K now?  I only see Mark as Paid as an option.

Thank you,

5 Comments 5
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

It's great to see you here, @emco.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share some resources on how QuickBooks Self-Employed handles partial invoice payments.

QuickBooks Self-Employed only offers a simplified invoicing feature. Currently, the ability to apply partial invoice payments directly is not yet available since it doesn't have the Balance forward feature. What you can do is to duplicate the said invoice. 

Here's how:

1. Go to Invoices tab.
  2. Locate the partially paid invoice.
  3. Under the Action column, click the drop-down arrow beside Mark as paid link.
  4. Choose Duplicate
  5. Open the Original Invoice.
    1. Click Add Work.
    2. Enter the unpaid balance to show the amount of the partial payment your customer made.
    3. You can add a message or note to tell your customer that the remaining unpaid balance will be under a separate invoice.
    4. Hit Add to Invoice.
    5. Click Send Reminder.  
    6. Select Mark as paid to record payment. 
  6. Open the duplicate invoice.
    1. Click Add work.
    2. Enter the details of the partial payment made.
    3. Make sure to put a negative sign on the amount.
    4. Hit Add to invoice.
    5. Click Send Invoice

Just a heads-up though, marking an invoice as paid does not automatically record the payments in your Transactions page. You have 2 ways how to record the partial payments.

• Add partial payments manually.
    1. Go to the Transactions page.
    2. On the right side above the list of transactions, click the Add Transaction.
    3. Enter the details for the transaction and select a category.
    4. Click Save. add transactions.jpg
  • If the bank where payments were directed is connected with QuickBooks, just wait for it to be downloaded in the Transactions page.

That should do it! This should get you on the right track recording partial invoice payments and marking it as paid.

Keep us posted here in the Community, if you have other questions about the invoicing feature in QuickBooks Self-Employed. I'm always here to help.

QUICK24
Level 1

how do I enter a discounted payment in QuickBooks?

QUICK24
Level 1

How do I enter discounted payment in QuickBooks?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, QUICK24.

In QuickBooks Self-Employed, you can add another line on the invoice to embody the discount. Just make sure to enter a negative amount on the discount line item. 

However, if you’re referring to QuickBooks Online, you can refer to this article for the detailed steps: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/Discount-as-line-item-on-invoices-and-sales-re....

You’re always welcome to visit us here again if you have other questions. 

rickufpb
Level 1

I figured out a simplier way just do step 6 on the original invoice to reflect the partial payment  and in the description of that line item say" payment"

Need to get in touch?

Contact us