cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor *

How do you delete old payroll contributions/deductions the company no longer uses?

We have an old deduction that the company no longer uses.  It is showing up on reports with $0 amounts and I'd like to just remove it.  The Payroll settings only allow for editing not deleting these company deductions.

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: How do you delete old payroll contributions/deductions the company no longer uses?

Welcome, @tlh121018 and thank you for coming to the QuickBooks Community for assistance. I have some insight on removing old deductions to pass along.

Once a deduction is added, it will still show up until it has been removed. 

To remove a deduction:

Intuit Online Payroll/Intuit Online Payroll Accountants

1. Go to Employees > name of the employee.
  2. In the Deductions & Contribution section, click Edit.
  3. Click the trash bin icon, then select remove to confirm deletion.

Note: You can remove a deduction in the Employee's setup but it will remain in the deduction list if the deduction was used before. Since you cannot fully remove it from the list, you can edit the deduction name as "not in use" or make up your own description.

QuickBooks Online Payroll

1. Select Workers from the left menu > Employees.
  2. Select the name of the employee.
  3. Under Employee details, select edit (pencil) icon beside Pay.
  4. Click edit (pencil) icon next to the deduction item.
  5. Click the trash bin icon beside the deduction item, then click Yes to confirm deletion.

Note: You can remove a deduction in the Employee's setup but it will remain in the deduction list if the deduction was used before. Since you cannot fully remove it from the list, you can edit the deduction name as "not in use" or make up your own description.

For more information on adding, editing, and deleting deductions, click here.

Please keep me posted on your results with this here, the Community has you covered. Thanks again, I'll be standing by for your response.

Frequent Contributor *

Re: How do you delete old payroll contributions/deductions the company no longer uses?

Thank you, SterlingD.

So basically, I'm stuck with it still being on my reports, even if it says "not in use".  That is unfortunate.  I do appreciate your answer, though.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello tlh121018,

Thanks for coming back.

You might want to check the employee profiles to check if you've fully deleted this deduction item. Here's how:

1. Click on the Gear icon.
  2. Select Payroll Settings.
  3. Under Payroll, click on Deductions/Contributions.

If that contribution is still being used by one of your employees, please delete it by following the steps given by my colleague above. Then, run the report again.

Let us know if you need anything else.