cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Contributor *

How to change an item in an invoice without losing the description

How can you change an item on an invoice but keep the description from changing?

A little background, we lease items (equipment). The lease is quoted to the customer by selecting the item (fixed asset item) along with a few non-inventory items to support the equipment.

Upon approval, we turn the quote into an invoice. However, since we aren't selling the item we have to change the item type to a service item called "Lease".

We want to keep the fixed asset item description the same, since they're long with details, but just change the item to a lease service item. The problem is when we change the item type, it removes the description already in the description field to default to the "lease" description, which is blank.

Is there a way to keep the item description from being removed?

Thanks much  

6 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: How to change an item in an invoice without losing the description

No i dont think you can stop Qb from adding item description.
Instead why don't you leave the asset item line on the invoice - but set the qnty to zero.
Then add the lease item line underneath

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for taking the time to post here in the Community, @andyau1. I'll add some insights on what MikeInBC answered.

I appreciate you changing the item type into a Lease service item. 

Currently, there isn't a way to keep the item description once you've changed the item type. As an alternative, you'll need to manually add the details on the Item List.

You can also copy the description details from the old item type to Excel. Then, you can paste it to the new service item type on the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries window. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Lists menu at the top. 
  2. Select Add/Edit Multiple List Entries
  3. Select a list. 
  4. Click Customize columns
  5. On the Customize Columns window, add the Sales and Purchase descriptions and click OK
  6. Copy the description from the old item type to Excel. 
  7. Paste them to the new service item type. 
  8. Click Save Changes

Once done, you'll need to open the quote and invoice so you can manually assign it to the new item type. For more information about using items in the program, you can check out this helpful article: Add, Edit, and Delete Items

This will get you on the right path, @andyau1

I'll be here to help if you need further assistance. Have an awesome day ahead. 

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

In my experience if the description on the invoice is altered and is not what is on the initial item, then when changing the item the description does not change.  It is only when the description matches the initial item that it is replaced.  Is this what you see?

Community Contributor *

I appreciate the response. Think it'd be easier to just cut and paste on each invoice than going through all of that. It does give me an idea on another issue though so thanks for the feedback. 

Community Contributor *

Thanks for the response. I tried that and unfortunately did not work. 

Community Contributor *

@MikeinBC wrote:

No i dont think you can stop Qb from adding item description.
Instead why don't you leave the asset item line on the invoice - but set the qnty to zero.
Then add the lease item line underneath

Appreciate the response. I have started toying with the idea of doing that.

However, with fixed assets you can't change the quantity. It's greyed out for some reason. So annoying because that could possibly work. You can change quantity on inventory, non-inventory and service items though.