cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VFAKathy
Level 3

How to change the payment received date on a reconciled transaction

We need to change the payment received date for an invoice. The transaction has already been reconciled. What is the best way to do this without creating an opening balance problem on the next rec? 

Thanks!

Solved
Best answer April 29, 2019

Best Answers
MaryGraceS

Hello there, @VFAKathy.

Thank you for choosing the Community to help you with your concern about editing a reconciled payment in QuickBooks Online. Allow me to help share some insight to get this taken care of today. 

When you change the reconciled payment received date, the effect depends on the date you're going to enter. It may not impact the opening balance of your next reconciliation if the date is within the month you currently reconciled. If not, it'll affect the opening balance. 

Let me show you how:

1. On the left pane, select Accounting.
  2. In the Chart of Accounts section, find the bank.
  3. In the ACTION column, click View Register
  4. Select the payment, then click Edit.
  5. On the Receive Payment window, change the Payment date
  6. Click Save and close
  7. Click Yes to confirm. 

Additionally, you may wish to consider reaching out to your accountant to ensure your books are recorded correctly. You may also visit the QuickBooks Blog for additional reference and to check the latest features added to the product. 

That should get you back in track. Drop me a comment below if you have any other questions about editing the reconciled transaction or while working with QuickBooks. I'll be happy to help you out. Wishing you and your business success. 

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
lynda
Community Champion

Hello @VFAKathy :

You can open and edit the transaction. Changing the date will not unreconcile it.  You will get a warning though.  Just disregard it and click ok.

Lynda

MaryGraceS

Hello there, @VFAKathy.

Thank you for choosing the Community to help you with your concern about editing a reconciled payment in QuickBooks Online. Allow me to help share some insight to get this taken care of today. 

When you change the reconciled payment received date, the effect depends on the date you're going to enter. It may not impact the opening balance of your next reconciliation if the date is within the month you currently reconciled. If not, it'll affect the opening balance. 

Let me show you how:

1. On the left pane, select Accounting.
  2. In the Chart of Accounts section, find the bank.
  3. In the ACTION column, click View Register
  4. Select the payment, then click Edit.
  5. On the Receive Payment window, change the Payment date
  6. Click Save and close
  7. Click Yes to confirm. 

Additionally, you may wish to consider reaching out to your accountant to ensure your books are recorded correctly. You may also visit the QuickBooks Blog for additional reference and to check the latest features added to the product. 

That should get you back in track. Drop me a comment below if you have any other questions about editing the reconciled transaction or while working with QuickBooks. I'll be happy to help you out. Wishing you and your business success. 

JJCDC
Level 1

I need to change the payment received date on two unreconciled transactions that are dated in November and December 2019 registers.  They should have been dated January 2020.  The books are reconciled through 2019, but no months reconciled for 2020 yet.

I reached out to our CPA and they confirmed the deposits need to be recorded in 2020, but no additional guidance was provided on the best way to do this.

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you for joining the thread, @JJCDC.

Since those two transactions aren't reconciled yet, they won't affect your 2019 reconciliation. To make changes for those payments, you can directly update the date to the correct one.

1. Open the payment, then update the date under the Payment date section.
  2. Tap on Save and close to record the changes.
  3. Hit Yes to confirm the action.

I found these articles that may help you about reconciliation in QuickBooks Online:

Comment down below if you have any other questions. I'm more than happy to help. Have a good day!

JJCDC
Level 1

Thank you Angelyn for the quick response, I appreciate it.

Rapido2021
Level 1

I tried to do it but on step 3, I don't see VIEW REGISTER, I only have, CONNECT BANK, EDIT, MAKE INACTIVE, RUN REPORT. 

FritzF

Thanks for joining this conversation, @Rapido2021.

In QuickBooks Online (QBO), we can view the register if the accounts have balances or QuickBooks Balances. For the income and expense accounts, we can only run a report since they don't have any balances.

chartaccount1.PNGchartaccount2.PNG

If you're trying to view the register for the accounts with balances, try signing into your QBO using a private browser (incognito). There are times that the browser is already full of frequently accessed page resources, causing some unusual responses.

Here's how:

• Press Ctrl Shift (Google Chrome).
  • Ctrl Shift (Firefox).
  • Control Option (Safari).

If you're able to see the View register option, return to your default browser and perform a clear cache to refresh the system. However, if the issue persists, try using other supported browsers.

Please let me know if you have any other issues or concerns, and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible. I'm always here to help. Have an amazing rest of the day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us