cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCruz
Level 1

How to create and import journal entries?

I need to enter journal entries into QB from an excel file how do I create an import?

26 Comments 26
HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @MCruz.

Thank you for choosing QuickBooks Desktop as your accounting tool. I can help you create and/or import the journal entries.

Currently, entering journal entries into QuickBooks from an Excel file is unavailable. You'll have to convert the Excel file to Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) file.

There are plenty of applications that you can use in converting the file to .IIF. I suggest visiting the Intuit Marketplace to look for compatible applications in meeting QuickBooks import requirement.

If you don't want to use any application, you have to manually enter the journal entry transactions by clicking the Company menu and choosing Make General Journal Entries.

That should get you on the right track, @MCruz.

Let me know if there's anything else you need. I'm still here to offer more assistance. Have a good one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can convert your transactions in Excel to an IIF file for import using our BRC IIF Transaction Creator 

DPTrain
Level 1

Why isn't this feature available except through costly add-ons? Quickbooks has had 27 years to develop this simple feature.

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, @DPTrain.

I understand how entering journal entries into QuickBooks from an Excel file would be helpful for you. Finding new ways to adapt to our customers’ needs is how QuickBooks gets even better. 

I'll make sure to take note of your request and will update you once we receive product enhancement about the availability of this option. Please know that the change is also based on how popular a specific request is. 

In the meantime, you may want to consider the workaround provided by my colleague HoneyLynn_G which is to convert the Excel file to Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) file. 

Feel free to post again if you have any other concerns related to QuickBooks. The Community team will always here to help. 

Dex1
Level 1

Hector Garcia gives a good run down of how to create an iif file, along with a free template, but here's one of the simplest solutions.

JSN489
Level 1

Hello All,

Please help us for how to import journal entries from Excel file to quickbooks. so please share the step by step the method to send my gmail a/c [email address removed] 

Regards,

Jay

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@JSN489 

If you are not familiar with IIF, utilize the trial period of these 3rd party importer tool.

https://transactionpro.grsm.io/qbd

The template should be like this

RefNumberTransaction DateAccountDebit Credit MemoNameClassBillableIs AdjustmentCurrencyExchange RateHome Currency AdjustmentAmounts in Home Currency
127/09/2020Checking  130PR 092518John Smith NN    
127/09/2020Wages200 PR 092518John Smith NN    
127/09/2020Payroll Taxes Payable 50PR 092518John Smith NN    
127/09/2020Health Insurance Payable 20PR 092518John Smith NN    
MaulikH
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, JSN489.

Thank you for wanting to learn more about QuickBooks Desktop. I can help you with creating and importing the journal entries.

While currently importing journal entries into QuickBooks from an Excel file is unavailable. You'll have to convert the Excel file to Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) file.

I suggest visiting the Intuit Marketplace to see applications that you can use in converting the file to .IIF. We also have a guideline that is an Overview for IIF. You can also visit our article detailing how to create a journal entry. I'm here if you have any questions or need any help.

jon70proofz
Level 1

I've been saying that Quickbooks should be able to easily import an excel file of journal entries for 10 years, but they still haven't added it.  I've suggested it during support calls and online.   It's absurd that Quickbooks doesn't have this feature considering how many accountants use Excel for Journal entries.

Adrian_A

Hello there, jon70proofz.

I appreciate you for reaching out to our Phone Support agents for this feature to be added to our updates.

As of now, I'm unable to tell as to when it will be available. We share recent happenings and future developments on our blog. Through this, you're able to get the latest news about QuickBooks and what our Product Care Team is working on. 

However, you can look for an app that can help you import Journal Entries. All you have to do is click the Apps tab, and then search an app in the Browse category drop-down.

I'm just around if you still need my help!

jennie1234
Level 1

Hi, 

I have created the IIF file and imported into Quickbooks.  How can I import as one journal entry for all transactions?  Right now when I import all of the transactions are coming in as individual journal entries.

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Community, @jennie1234.

Let me provide some insights about importing IIF file in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) and help you from there.

Importing transactions in QBDT depends on the number of list entries you've imported. When you import individual journal entries, QuickBooks will take it individually. However, if you enter all the transactions in one journal entry, and import it in QuickBooks, it'll show as one journal entry.

You can read these articles to learn more about IIF import and export limitations: 

Please let me know if you need clarification about this, or there's anything else I can do for you. I'll be standing by for your response. Have a great day and keep safe.

Mijel
Level 1

Hi Ms. HoneyLyn,

Good day.

Regarding the JE importation, just to ask if you don't have other options than the one mention above like a CSV file template for JE wherein we can directly download from QBO then input the needed details of our journal entries?

Secondly, if we are to import journal entries to QBO, can we do that directly from QBO without using any other apps associated with QB such as transaction pro and others?

Hope to received your response regarding this matter

Regards, 

Rose

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Mijel 

I noticed other QBO versions (e.g UK, AU) already have the feature to import JE since last month. Hopefully company will release the feature for US version within this year. For the time being, uilize TP Importer.

https:// transactionpro.grsm.io/qbo

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Mijel

Welcome to the Community. Please allow me to join the thread and help share information about Journal Entry. If you don't desire to use any app, you have to manually enter the journal entry transactions and input all the details needed. 

On your second question, importing journal entries to QuickBooks directly is unavailable. We need to use a 3rd party app that integrates with QBO.   

Though, you may want to consider checking the lists of supported Third-Party app in QuickBooks. 

In the meantime, please check our blog site to know the latest update of QuickBooks. Here's the link: The QuickBooks Blog

Please know that the Community is always here to help you out. Just click the Reply button, and I'll get back to you. Have a great day!

Valki
Level 1

Since it was mentioned that features are added depending on demand from users, I want to add my vote to asking QBD to add this feature that will allow importing JEs from Excel directly into QB.  Meanwhile, what apps are you referring to that I can use to do this now?

Thank you.

Nick_M
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Valki. 

Thanks for dropping by the Community, I appreciate your feedback and I've already submitted your request to our product developers about getting the feature of allowing the import of Journal Entries from Excel directly into the QuickBooks Desktop Product. As far as the apps go, while we can't give you specific recommendations, rest assured that you can find a number of different apps that will fit this purpose, here, at our app store

If there's anything else I can help with in the meantime, feel free to post here anytime. Thank you and have a nice afternoon. 

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Valki 

Explore one of these importer tools

https:// transactionpro.grsm.io/qbd

https:// partners.saasant.com/affiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=5051_2

Valki
Level 1

Thank you, I will look into it!

ChaninKaye
Level 1

Has there been any improvement on this function since the prior posts?

Maybelle_S
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @ChaninKaye.

Currently, we're unable to import journal entries directly to QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT). You'll have to convert the Excel file to Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) file.

You can also find a third-party application or visit our Desktop Apps website to look for a file converter tool.

However, if you don't want to use any application, you can manually enter the journal entry transactions by clicking the Company menu and choosing Make General Journal Entries.

You can read these articles to learn more about IIF import and export limitations: 

• Export, import, and edit IIF files.

• The maximum number of list entries (list limits and custom fields)

Don’t hesitate to respond on this thread if you have additional questions or concerns with the import process. I'm here anytime to help. Always take care!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@ChaninKaye 

You still need to utilize an importer tool to do so as I mentioned earlier.

Dex1
Level 1

Intuit has provided two integrated ways to import Journal Entries from Excel that cost nothing:

1) IIF Files. These delimited text files can be challenging to implement, but they are well documented, provide a solution to many import tasks, and there are lots of users that have provided videos to help walk you through the process.

2) QuickBooks SDK.  Intuit has made their software development kit for QuickBooks Desktop available to anyone who wants to use it.  Yes, it is quite technical to go down this path, but it is very powerful if you want to take the time to learn how to use it.

For more integrated solutions, Intuit has left this function to third-party developers.  There are costs generally associated with these solutions, but some are quite inexpensive. LeftBrainLogic has one that is very simple and inexpensive.

TR88
Level 1

Has there been any updates to allowing General Journal Entries to be imported in XLS format? I have watched numerous videos with how to's, to get a TXT file to upload in IIF format but because it's not saved as an IIF doc it gets rejected. This is extremely annoying and you would think by now you would have already figured this out. The only way to do this, it seems it to purchase a 3rd party IIF conversion app which can be costly. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us