cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
industrialcontrols12
Level 1

How to limit Reminders to appropriate levels of permissions in QB Enterprise 2019?

When I turn Reminders on, everyone in the company can see all of the reminders. For example, my warehouse manager can see that we have $262K to deposit, even though he has no AP/AR permissions. He can also see everyone's ToDo list....

Is there a way to make the reminders limited by the permissions granted to the user?

QB Permissions.JPG

10 Comments 10
AlcaeusF

How to limit Reminders to appropriate levels of permissions in QB Enterprise 2019?

Hello industrialcontrols12,

Welcome to the Community. I'm here to assist you with the Reminders feature in QuickBooks Desktop.

The reminders that other users will see depends on the assigned roles and what areas they can access. For example, a user with payroll access only will not be able to see sales receipts that you need to print.

You can review other's access to ensure they'll not be able to view reminders that aren't specific to their roles. However, the To-Do Notes are available to all of the users on your company file.

The only way to get rid of the To-Do Notes reminder from other users is by disabling it in the Preferences window. Here's how:

1. Click the Edit tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Preferences.
  3. Go to the Reminders.
  4. Go to the Company Preferences tab.
  5. Choose the option below the Don't Remind Me column.

You can also try to create another new user to check what reminders will show depending on the access you'll choose.

Please don't hesitate to come here if you need further help with the Reminders feature. The Community is here to ensure your success.

industrialcontrols12
Level 1

Please understand what I am saying.

I am telling you that I have different permissions for my warehouse user, he should not be able to see anything to do with banking, and yet, on his reminder screen he can still see the reminder that we have $265k to deposit.

Let me be clear. THE PERMISSIONS ARE NOT RESTRICTING THE REMINDERS THE WAY THEY SHOULD.  How do I fix this?

industrialcontrols12
Level 1

I can see the list of PERMISSIONS, so please don't send me the standard quickbooks list of permissions.   I knwo what the permissions are, but I can't tell everything that is affected by a change for each permission.

What I need is a description of what the permissions actually  affect that a change in permission has.

For example, I have a user that has Full access in the inventory area, when he tries to run a report on the inventory, he can't. When he tries to do so, Quickbooks pops up a screen that says the Admin has to give him 'View Only Access" under 'Accountants - General Ledger.'.

MaryLandT

Hi there, @industrialcontrols12,

Let me walk you through on how to see the description of each user's roles in QuickBooks Desktop.

1. Go to the Company menu.
  2. Select Users, then Set up Users and Roles.
  3. Select the user, then click Editrole1.PNG
  4. Click any role in the Available Roles section, then you'll see the description below. role2.PNG
  5. If want to modify the access, simply click Add or Remove.
  6. Click OK to save the changes.

Changing access for one user's role affects all other users with the same role. If you want to change access for only one user, you need to duplicate the role, assign it to the user, then edit the permissions for the duplicate role.

To learn more about creating and modifying roles, feel free to read through here: Create and modify roles in QuickBooks Enterprise.

By following the steps above, you'll be able to determine the description of each role. 

Please keep in touch if there's anything I can help you with QuickBooks Desktop users and restrictions. I'm always glad to help.

Douglas25
Level 1

I am having this same Issue.  I do not want other Users to see my Memorized Transactions Due in the Reminders, but when I turn it off it turns it offer for everyone.  How can I control Reminders by the User?

I am fine with them not being able to see Reminders at all, but I cannot find out how to turn that off per user?

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for following on this thread, Douglas25.

I can see how beneficial it is for customers to have control over what users can see on the Reminders page, including turning off their access from there. Ideas like this help us identify the feature our customers want the most.

I suggest sending feedback about this functionality to our engineers for inclusion in future updates. Let’s go to your company file to accomplish this task.

Here’s how:

1. Tap the Help menu at the top bar to choose Send Feedback Online and Product Suggestions.
  2. In the QuickBooks Feedback window, click the Type of Feedback drop-down to select Product Suggestion.
  3. Pick the Product Area from the drop-down and your feedback in the Here is my suggestion box.
  4. Fill in the remaining fields.
  5. Click Send Feedback.

In the meantime, you may want to review the roles set for your users. This way, you’ll be able to identify what specific area in QuickBooks they can see. I still recommend following the solution shared by @ MaryLandT above.

For more information about user roles, permissions, and restrictions, you can browse the articles shared below. These resources will guide you on how to hide account balances, resolve unexpected results in QuickBooks, create data-level access, and manage users related activities.

Keep me posted below if you need help with setting permissions and managing users. I’ll be glad to assist further. Have a great rest of the day.

ireneybeenie
Level 2

I can feel your frustration because I have the same problem - and I don't think that the responders here are actually understanding the problem because they are not answering it correctly. 

It would be EXTREMELY helpful to know what each permission actually affects.  I had the same issue with giving my user full access to the inventory area, but then he couldn't view inventory reports.  It doesn't tell you what "general ledger" permission actually lets them do.  The permissions list is very confusing.  Is there a list somewhere that shows exactly what each permission allows a role/ user to do?

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for sharing your experience in this forum, @ireneybeenie.

Your user should be able to have access to inventory reports after setting him with full access.

Since it's showing differently, we can troubleshoot your data file. It could be that your company file encountered data issue.

Before doing so, I'd recommend updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release. 

Here's how: 

1. Go to Help and click Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Click the Update Now tab.
  3. Check the Reset Update box and click Get Updates.
  4. Wait for the update to complete.
  5. Close and reopen your company file. 

Then, run the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility process to help us identify and resolve any data issues within a company file.

I've also got you an article for your reference: Users/Roles in QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions. It contains user types and its roles in QuickBooks.

I'm always here to listen and help you again if you have other concerns about managing user roles. Take Care!

Havird
Level 2

I need help figuring out why one of the employees with access to QuickBooks cannot see all of the reminders list even though his access is the same as other employees and they can see the whole reminders list. Why is it that only this employee is unable to see all of the reminder lists if everyone else can? Please help figure this out for me. I know QuickBooks very well have been using it for 16 years but I have never come across this before and I just cannot figure it out at all. What is different on his access level that the other employees have that he does not?

MarTek, Inc.

Havird
Level 2

I have the answer you are looking for when it comes to user list/role list and the permission that are assocated with that type of role. As you know you can also set the permission for your users yourself in QuickBooks but to make sure they have what they need to do their job most of the time with me it is hit and miss but after 2 or 3 tries I get the correct permission that user needs in order to do his or her job without giving them permissions to areas in QuickBooks they should not have at all. Like access to company financial statements, bank accounts and other sensitive areas of the business only the owner of the company and the CFO should have. See my attachment below to see the tab to use to get information on each of the User list roles have and don't have then try to match that role to the individual user to ensure the correct access is given to them without giving them too much access. I hope with helps you.

Katherine Havird

Need to get in touch?

Contact us