cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenTam
Level 5

How to open a QBX file?

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/Convert-an-accountant-s-copy-or-an-ac...

I am using QuickBooks Desktop Premier Edition 2018. The above link tells me the following steps to covert a QBX file to a normal QBW file.

1. Open the appropriate file (.QBX or .QBA).
  2. Go to the File menu, then select Send Company File > Accountant's Copy.
  3. Select Convert Accountant’s Copy to Company File/QBW, then OK.
  4. Choose the location where you want to save the converted .QBW file, then select Save.
  5. Select OK.

However when I go to the File menu and select "Send Company File", there is no "Convert Accountant's Copy to Company File/QBW" option to select.

TIA

Solved
Best answer February 21, 2019

Best Answers
AlcaeusF

How to open a QBX file?

Hello there, BenTam.

Thank you for getting back to us. Allow me to step in for a moment and provide additional clarification about the company file format in QuickBooks Desktop.

The option to create a QBX file (accountant's copy) is available for you to send the company file to your accountant. Right now, the ability to convert an accountant's copy to a working file (.QBA) or a regular company file is only possible in QuickBooks Desktop Accountant editions.

In case you need to visit the article about the Accountant's Copy, I'm adding the article again for your reference:

Use the Accountant's Copy.

Please don't hesitate to come here if you have additional concerns with the conversion. The Community has your back.

View solution in original post

qbteachmt
Level 15

How to open a QBX file?

Let's Reword this to match Intuit Terminology:

QB Accountant (no longer has the word Premier in the product name)

And

Enterprise Accountant (can work with Accountant's Copy from Pro/Premier or Enterprise)

All Accountant Programs work with their specific Accountant's Copy, and from the same year or one year Older than their Accountant Programs.

Can Convert the .qbx to .qba. A = Accountant, to work on that Divided subset file. Then, when they are done, they "save out Changes" creating a .qby. The QB user who sent the .qbx gets back a Changes file to Import. In that meantime, they had a notification that their own working file has Restrictions on it.

It's a data swapping Function that does not involve the QB user required to Stopping Work, waiting on the Accountant to provide a replacement file.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to open a QBX file?

Hello BenTam,

QuickBooks Premier and Enterprise for Accountant versions only have the capability to convert an Accountant's Copy transfer file (.QBX) to a working file. Other versions don't have this option. That's the reason why you can't see it from the File menu. 

The Accountant's Copy uses the Dividing Date to define the fiscal period the accountant can work on. While you can't import/convert the .QBX file, you can import the accountant's changes (.QBY). Please follow the steps found in this article: Import accountant's changes.

I'll share with you an article about how to use the Accountant's Copy. Please check it out:  https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/Use-the-Accountant-s-Copy/m-p/203725.

Don't hesitate to post more questions about QuickBooks. You're always welcome to come back. 

BenTam
Level 5

How to open a QBX file?

Hi Garlyn,

Thanks for your reply. If QuickBooks Premier and Enterprise for Accountant versions can't open a QBX file, why does it have the create QBX option?

AlcaeusF

How to open a QBX file?

Hello there, BenTam.

Thank you for getting back to us. Allow me to step in for a moment and provide additional clarification about the company file format in QuickBooks Desktop.

The option to create a QBX file (accountant's copy) is available for you to send the company file to your accountant. Right now, the ability to convert an accountant's copy to a working file (.QBA) or a regular company file is only possible in QuickBooks Desktop Accountant editions.

In case you need to visit the article about the Accountant's Copy, I'm adding the article again for your reference:

Use the Accountant's Copy.

Please don't hesitate to come here if you have additional concerns with the conversion. The Community has your back.

BenTam
Level 5

How to open a QBX file?

Alcaeus, Thanks for your clarification.

qbteachmt
Level 15

How to open a QBX file?

Let's Reword this to match Intuit Terminology:

QB Accountant (no longer has the word Premier in the product name)

And

Enterprise Accountant (can work with Accountant's Copy from Pro/Premier or Enterprise)

All Accountant Programs work with their specific Accountant's Copy, and from the same year or one year Older than their Accountant Programs.

Can Convert the .qbx to .qba. A = Accountant, to work on that Divided subset file. Then, when they are done, they "save out Changes" creating a .qby. The QB user who sent the .qbx gets back a Changes file to Import. In that meantime, they had a notification that their own working file has Restrictions on it.

It's a data swapping Function that does not involve the QB user required to Stopping Work, waiting on the Accountant to provide a replacement file.

BenTam
Level 5

How to open a QBX file?

Hi qbteachmt. Thanks for your clear explanation.

JOERENOVATIONSLLC
Level 1

How to open a QBX file?

I have been trying to import the .qbx file into an online account that was recently purchased. How would I go about converting the file myself if the file was sent from a former accountant who is no longer able to assist me moving forward?

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

How to open a QBX file?

@JOERENOVATIONSLLC 

You need QBD Accountant edition to open your QBX file and migrate to QBO.

https:// quickbooks.grsm.io/US

https:// quickbooks.grsm.io/us-promo

You should contact Support and ask Data Service to convert  QBX file to QBW/QBB file. Otherwise, you have to purchase a 3rd party conversion service.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us