cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

How to "unpay" a vendor invoice

I use the pay bills function and applied credits (already paid checks) to a vendor invoice, and clicked the "pay selected bills" button. QB created a $0 bill transaction to associate the check with the invoice, and the bill disappeared from my "pay bills" list, and the credit disappeared from the available credits list. Now I realize I applied the check/credit to the wrong invoice. I want the check/credit to be made available in the list of credits again, and I want the vendor invoice to be available again in the pay bills screen. Nothing I have tried works. I tried unchecking the invoice in that $0 bill pay screen, I tried deleting the $0 transaction - nothing will "unpay" the bill and put things back the way they were before the check/credit was applied to the invoice. Please help! Thanx!

5 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

Re: How to "unpay" a vendor invoice

"I want the vendor invoice"

It is a Bill.

Invoice = between us and customers; you got their invoice, because you are their customer. It's your Bill, now.

"nothing will "unpay" the bill and put things back the way they were before the check/credit was applied to the invoice."

The Check isn't the issue; just delete it.

Open the credit. At the top, change the radio button to Bill. You are Warned this is linked to other transactions (that bill). That's perfect, so let it Break the link by using Save, at the top. Now, change the radio button back to Credit/Return and Save and Close.

Experienced Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!

Just for the record, I know it's a bill. However, when I searched for already-answered questions for how to unpay a bill, all the responses were referring to dealing with customers, not vendors, so that's why I called it a vendor invoice, rather than a bill.

I don't want to delete the check - the check has cleared and the account has already been reconciled, and I don't want to have to recreate it and re-reconcile, unless absolutely necessary. I just want to be able to reassign it to a different bill than it was initially assigned to pay.

When you said "open the credit" - I'm not sure what you mean. The only transactions that seem to exist or be available are the bill itself, the check, and the $0 QB-generated BillPay. I presume that the $0 QB-generated Billpayment transaction is somehow the connection between the bill and the check. I don't see a radio button on any of them? (I referred to the check as a credit because it shows up in the Credit list in the Pay Bills screen.)

The situation behind this issue is that the checks must be entered and the accounts reconciled before many of the vendor bills are available. Once the bills are received and entered, then they are marked as paid with the checks that have already been cleared to pay them.

Experienced Member

I did figure out a roundabout way to break the connection between the bill and the check: I changed the account from "Accounts payable" to anything else on either the bill or the check. That freed them both up to be reassigned/re-paid in the Bill Pay screen and the Credits list.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Qanon,

Thanks for getting back to the discussion and letting us know how it went.

I'm glad you're able to unlink your bills and credits on your end. If you need further assistance with your QuickBooks bills, please know that I am here to help you anytime. You can notify me by mentioning me in this thread so I can get back to you immediately.

Wishing your business continued success!

Established Community Backer ***

"I don't want to delete the check - the check has cleared and the account has already been reconciled, and I don't want to have to recreate it and re-reconcile"

You stated is was a $0 Check.

"(I referred to the check as a credit because it shows up in the Credit list in the Pay Bills screen.)"

So, you don't literally have a Vendor Credit. You are Prepaying and posting it as AP? That means you are carrying Backwards, negative AP = that backwards Liability is your Other Current Asset as Vendor Prepayment, not negative AP.

"The situation behind this issue is that the checks must be entered and the accounts reconciled before many of the vendor bills are available. Once the bills are received and entered, then they are marked as paid with the checks that have already been cleared to pay them."

It's not Negative AP; that is Backwards accounting.

"I changed the account from "Accounts payable" to anything else on either the bill or the check. That freed them both up to be reassigned/re-paid in the Bill Pay screen and the Credits list."

Like this:

Prepayments are Other Current Asset.

Later, you get a Bill to show how they Applied your prepayment. So you enter the Bill in Full = Gross.

You make a Vendor Credit for this same date and list the Other Current Asset account and amount here. You Apply them in Pay Bills. This might leave a small net balance due, or it is Paid in Full by the vendor applying your prepayment.