cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glennjdavis
Level 1

I do not want to upgrade. How do I cancel my trial that I was forced to do?

22 Comments 22
JamesDuanT

You don't have to cancel your trial account, Glenn.

We just need to wait until the trial ends. Hence, your data will be deleted after a year.

Here's how to check the number of days before the trial ends:

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and select Account and Settings.
  2. Select the Billing & Subscription tab and go to the QuickBooks section.
  3. The Subscription status should show Trial ends in # days!.

If you have a plan in reactivating the said account in the future, you'll need to do it within a year after the trial expired. Otherwise, you'll need to sign up for a new one. You can use this article for reference: How to Resubscribe or Reactivate QuickBooks Online.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

raokindness
Level 2

They didn't really answer your question and I have the same one.  I don't want my existing account to disappear in a year.  But I was forced to agree to a trial of something yesterday or it wouldn't let me login and  with no cost given or explaination given until an email today.

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, raokindness.

You'll want to enter billing information so that QuickBooks will auto charge you for the subscription to keep your account active. For canceled accounts or after the trial ends, QuickBooks keeps the company data for up to a year. You won't have access to your previous data if you subscribe again after a year.

If you're referring to QuickBooks Online Advanced free upgrade, the QuickBooks will automatically revert back to the previous version after the free upgrade period. Not unless you specifically choose to upgrade to Advanced version.

Also, I'd to know if you receive any error message while trying to log in. If you forgot your user ID or password, we can reset it. Here's how:

1. Go to qbo.intuit.com.
  2. Select I forgot my user ID or Password.
  3. Enter your phone number, email or user ID.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Follow the instructions given. 

You can always reach out to us here if you have other questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want quickbooks  to be reverted to the way it was before the trial (that I did not ask for or want.)  How do I turn off the trial?  ("Wait for it to expire" is the wrong answer)

CB5301
Level 2

If you work out the yearly charge for this idiotic upgrade: $ 1,800.00 a year once you are charged the full amount.  That is insane for what we do.  I just want to get my work done.  Now, I cannot as  I am not in charge of these decisions for the company.   What kind of autocratic bull---ony is this?  I really do not appreciate having been railroaded into something I don't want to do.  My company pays you for this not the other way around.  This kind of marketing turns employees like me completely off.  I am not an experiment, and I don't appreciate being treated as one.  I am not a beta tester or the like.   I am someone who just want to get the work done in the manner I need to do it.  Don't make decisions for me that are not yours to make!

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, @Anonymous. I can provide clarification on reverting back.

You can return to the original QuickBooks Online Plus account prior to the trial ending with the steps outlined in the following article: Update on the QuickBooks Online Advanced free upgrade period. Alternatively, you can also opt out of the trial early by calling Support.

Let me know if you should have any questions or need further assistance. The sharing of ideas and solutions is one of the many things that help to make the Community such a wonderful place. 

CB5301
Level 2

Phoning support should not be the only option out of this.  Time wasted by your company should not be the only option.  There should be a very clear button to push to opt out of the trial.  There is not.  Funny that you only mentioned phoning support when the poster was not going to accept your scripted response.

CB5301
Level 2

A QuickBooks Online Allegory:  QB Online: "I see you drive our suv.  We want you to test drive our new bus."  Me: "I don't want to test drive your bus.  It does not suit my needs so why should I waste my time?"

QB Online: "Well you have to test drive it, or you could just go ahead and lease it today. When the discount ends you will pay close to 5x what you are now paying.  Great deal, right?"

Me: "I don't want to drive you bus.  I want what I had."

QB: "We are holding your all your stuff in the suv hostage. You have to drive our wonderful new bus.  You could call support but you will have to waste even more time trying to get out of this, and that way we can try and talk you into our lovely new bus."

To be continued....

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, @CB5301

Instead of calling into Support, you can locate instructions for leaving the trial early in the article posted above. The option of calling in is merely an alternative to these steps. 

Should you have any questions, I'm a post away. Hope you have a great day. 

CB5301
Level 2

I now see that in order to "downgrade" to what I had before (curious choice of words), what I had before has new pricing and new categories and the one we had before is not available. You can't downgrade if you didn't upgrade!!!!!  Now we have to accept the new pricing and a plan that has different options than what I had before (we had four users) and before cost us about $31.00 or so after taxes and now will double in price if we try to at least to have what we had before.  This has every appearance of being sneaky and underhanded.  Again, I don't make these decisions so I cannot move forward.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@David-212915 

That article's suggestion is horrible - my current plan is not even on that list, so QB is still making me change to a more expensive, or lower feature level plan.

You guys broke this on purpose, you should fix it.

Please revert my account to the way it was.

GranadaBook
Level 3

This is freaking ridiculous! You can’t force customers to enroll in a trial they don’t need or want to.

You're taking my clients hostage!

With QBO Accountant I can’t and shouldn’t have rights to change my clients’ subscriptions unless they are wholesale.

I have 18 clients in QBO and guess who’ll have to deal with this mess?

I’ve only had headaches with Intuit this year. Wrong payroll charges, increase in subscriptions fees which were “fixed rate for life subscriptions”; every time we need to take a client out of QBO and save the file in QBD format it takes us 4 hours and innumerous calls to customer support...

I’ve used QuickBooks for over 25 years but it seems like to me you’re getting too greedy. It might be time to shop around for other accounting softwares that are more affordable to my clients and my practice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @David-212915 

Clearly this discussion is not going the way your marketing team thought it would go.  Could you escalate this to your manager.  You should have never forced people into a trial, most of the people you forced are not the subscription decision makers. 

There needs to be a revert button somewhere, and the options described in the article you cite are conceived so poorly, that they show a real insensitivity to your customers. 

If this mess was marketing's intention, they are making a big PR mistake on how to demand a price increase.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello angryAboutBeingForcedIntoTrial and aamader, 

The system chooses some companies that are qualified to try the QuickBooks Online Advanced version. It's free and the subscribers don't have to worry about any obligations. Once this trial period ends and you don't wish to upgrade, the system automatically switches back your account to the old subscription.  

We are grateful to hear your sentiments about the recent system upgrade. I know that it is tough to deal with because I am a customer also, and it can cause some changes on the account. For now, I'll personally pass along your feedback to our development team so they can review this. 

If you have more questions, please let us know. We'll be right here to help. 

GranadaBook
Level 3

The trial must be optional, which is not the case. It doesn't matter it's free. I don't want it and nor my clients.

A window pops up and gives me the option to either subscribe it or start a free trial. If I don't pick one, I can't open the client's account.

Also, as an accountant, my firm should not have any rights to choose what version to pick for a client who is not wholesale. Which is also not the case.

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a customer also

It seems you work for Quickbooks as it says "Community Manager" under your name.  It's odd to say you are also a customer when you work for Quickbooks. 

GranadaBook
Level 3

I don't work for Intuit. I have a bookkeeping firm in Miami. I think the more you write on forums they change your status to "higher ranks". I have no control over it.

raokindness
Level 2

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Account-management/Downgrade-your-QuickBooks-Online-subscrip...

-Then scroll down to change my plan

-I found out that prior unwanted upgrades were forced on me at higher prices.

-There are plans as low as $15/month plus tax

audiobrad59
Level 4

https://www.firmofthefuture.com/content/update-on-the-quickbooks-online-advanced-free-upgrade-period.... worked for me.

I now have blessed relief from the neon on-screen banners and "try it" icons littered on my screen! I appreciate the fix, but shame on Intuit (again) for its heavy-handed and tone-deaf actions in pushing new "features" and "upgrades" on its loyal customers. QBO is an accounting program, but management and developers seem to think it's like FaceBook or Instagram and keep implementing unrequested changes without fixing longstanding bugs or implementing much-needed basic accounting functions. It's like the company is run by a 19 year old social media addict addicted to Candy Crush. Grow up Intuit and act like a professional business program!

CB5301
Level 2

News Flash - Just when you were hoping they would just let you quietly revert back to everything you had - no, they extend the trial period.   THERE IS NO OPTION FOR "NO I DON'T WANT THE CRAP YOU ARE FORCING DOWN MY THROAT!!!!"  The only options are  "yes, make me pay exorbirant price for things I don't want and won't use", "Ok, maybe later".  Then they tell you "Looks like you need more time".    NO I DON'T NEED MORE TIME.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I started this thread.  The latest forced extension of the upgrade period is so awful.  The bad experience that was at least going to time out after a month, just got extended.   That dialog that makes you extend with no choice, is an example of astoundingly bad marketing judgement, a slap in the face.

nbv
Level 1

It seems there is no way to cancel a trial if you don't setup a payment beforehand.  (i.e. you are SUBSCRIBED) I found this out the hard way by wasting way too much time trying to find the "simple" solution.  In my case, I regrettingly signed up for QB Online to try the extended features not offered in gmail invoicing and it created a second identical company, complete with a secondary database (why this is required when one database is just a simplified version of the other I don't know;  Intuit doesn't divulge this info). The most frustrating part of all of this isn't even the fact that I can't cancel the trial without waiting on hold for n-amount of time, it's that Intuit offers NO INFORMATION regarding this limitation.  Every guide/response says the same (non-applicable) thing: account> billing & subscription > cancel trial OR use Intuit Camps.  Guess what?  Neither one of those options lets you cancel your trial if you were never subscribed to begin with.  Have fun waiting on hold.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us