cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharicn
Level 1

I need my budget vs. actual report to show only main classes, but show totals for subclasses underneath them.

Hello,

We recently upgraded from QB Desktop 2016 to QB Desktop 2019. All has been going well until I tried to run my memorized Budget vs. Actual report.

I actually talked to QB support about 2 years ago to set up my report exactly the way I wanted it. What I need is a "quick and dirty" report to show our board that shows headers for our main classes but doesn't split out into the subclasses underneath them. HOWEVER, it needs to show the total for all of the classes beneath the main class. I was able to do this with QB 2016.

But when I open the report in QB 2019, or try to create a new one, it only shows the totals for the transactions specifically categorized under the main class, not the subclasses. I called QB support and they told me that this is how it's supposed to work. I guess my question is, why did it work BETTER in QB 2016? Did they eliminate that functionality? Or did it just magically work for me somehow in 2016?

I know that I can export the report into Excel and hide the columns that I don't want, but sometimes you just need to quickly run a report and give it to your board, you know?

5 Comments 5
FritzF

I need my budget vs. actual report to show only main classes, but show totals for subclasses underneath them.

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community, @sharicn.

I appreciate the steps you've done and for providing the complete details of your concern. I'm here to help make sure that you'll get the report that you need in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) 2019.

I tried this on my test account for both version of QBDT, but I'm getting the same results for the Budget v.s Actual report. To ensure that I'm on the same page, could you please provide me with a screenshot of the reports on both versions? This will help me deliver the best information for you.

Just in case, you can check out this article for future reference: Create a budget or forecast in QuickBooks Desktop.

I'll be on the lookout for your response and look forward to providing further assistance. Have a good one!

FritzF

Hello again, sharicn.

I just want to follow-up on you about this. Are you still having the same issue? If so, let's run the QuickBooks built-in diagnostic and repair tools called rebuild and verify data utilities. These tools comb through, repair, and notify you of data damage within the file.

Here's how:

1. Go to File, then select Utilities and Rebuild Data.
2. Choose OK. Follow the prompts to save a backup.
3. Click OK when you see Rebuild has completed.
4. Now, go back to File, then Utilities and select Verify Data this time.
5. Should the Verify find an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Choose Close, then perform the steps below.
     a. Find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files.
     b. Check the log file.
     c. Scroll all the way to the bottom for the most recent Verify information.
     d. Find the line that contains the LVL_ERROR, then check Top data damage errors in QuickBooks Desktop.

For your reference, you can also check out this article for further guidance: Resolve data damage on your company file. Once done, pull up the budget vs. actual report to double-check.

That should do it. Please let me know how it goes in the comment section. I'm always here to help. Wishing you all the best!

kimkelly
Level 2

I too have this problem and no one at Customer Support or in this Forum have been able to help.  I do not want to select all classes and export into Excel and then hide all the subclasses to see the parent class total.

There has to be an answer or a different product that to use.  

Can someone help answer?  Is QB Premier 2019 not capable? If not, what product is?

Kim

Kendra H
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @kimkelly.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. I'd be glad to provide information about customizing the budget vs. actual report to show only the main classes with subclasses underneath them.

At this time, QuickBooks Desktop doesn't offer this feature. However, I will submit feedback to our Product Development Team for them to further review and consider this an option soon. 

For now, you can follow our Community Blog for future QuickBooks updates and new releases.

If you have any more questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to comment below. Have a safe and productive weekend!

kimkelly
Level 2

Well if not QB Premier 2019 for Desktop, what product is capable in the QB options?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us