cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
callmesimon
Level 1

I need to move a number of transactions from an asset account to an expense account. What is the simplest way to do this (in bulk)?

4 Comments 4
James_MasterofBooksthatareQuick
QuickBooks Team

I need to move a number of transactions from an asset account to an expense account. What is the simplest way to do this (in bulk)?

Hi Simon, if you have an accountant on file, they have exclusive access to a Bulk Reclassify tool. This would be the fastest way to have these transactions moved. 

callmesimon
Level 1

Thanks for that response! I may end up having to go down that route if I can't find another solution.

My challenge is that I need to transfer some, but not all, of a large number of transactions from the asset account to the expense account...and my accountant doesn't/wouldn't know which to transfer and which to leave.

Is there a way I can transfer the transactions one by one from the asset account to the expense account? May be easier if I just do it this way...

Thanks again.

ss

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

@callmesimon 

If they are single-line Cheque, Expense or Bill type transactions, you can batch reclassify in Expenses.  Select the ones you want to reclassify , then Batch Actions> Categorize selected, select the new account and Apply.  There is no warning or undo, so be careful

kevclark52
Level 1

Rather than reclassify each transaction you could simply journal the total amount that has been allocated to assets instead of expense.

The  journal would be Debit: Expense - Credit: Assets at cost

This would correct your overall balance sheet and P&L