cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer *

IMPORTING TO QUICKBOOKS 2019

I have been importing into QuickBooks 2019 for a long time now.  However, one of my clients went to import and it came back with a error about the header date needed to match match the distribution line date.   BOTTOM LINE, IT APPEARS THE IIF FILE IS DIFFERENT NOW... AND THE FILES I HAVE BEEN CREATING WILL NO LONGER WORK.  

I need help... attached is a couple iif imports that I have been doing...  what should it look like now for it to import? 

There is one invoice sale.. one cash and one check.    From the little bit I have looked, it looks like that the items are in one set of lines... and then ENDTRANS.. and then a second set of lines if there is a payment.. and then again ENDTRANS

Any help would be much appreciated!

9 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: IMPORTING TO QUICKBOOKS 2019

Hello there, @Iceguy.

I'm glad you've reached out to the QuickBooks Community. I'm here to help ensure you're able to import transaction in QuickBooks Desktop. 

When importing lists or transactions into QuickBooks, you'll need to use the Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files. You can download and install the .IIF import kit to guide you when creating and working with .IFF import files. 

Here's how:

1. Download Kit.
  2. Select the Save button to download the IIF_Import_Kit.zip file to your Windows desktop.
  3. Use WinZip or any compatible file compression utility to extract the contents of the downloaded file. The contents will automatically extract into a sub folder called .IIF Import Kit.
  4. Open the IIF Import Kit folder to view its contents.

You can also download the other sample IIF file in the article below and check if your format is correct: IIF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers

For additional reference, you can visit these articles:

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend to contact our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have the tools to pull up your account and do a remote session. 

Here's how to contact our customer support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel. 
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

This will get you on the right track. Fill me in if you have additional questions about importing transactions in QuickBooks. I'm always here to help. Have a good one. 

Frequent Explorer *

I found this kit.. and from what I see...  it only covers up to version 2007.  I did not see anything about the new 2019 version.  

I did however find a person who posted this.

https://bigredconsulting.com/quickbooks-2019-iif-import/

So QB does have a way to keep importing your older format... they try to tell you not to do it.. but it does work.  

I need the specific examples of the import files based on the file I attached.  

Hi there, @Iceguy.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm here to help share additional input about importing transactions into QuickBooks. 

The sample .IIF files (QB 2007 & Enterprise 7.0 and later) in the kit can still be used as templates for your own data in QuickBooks 2019. The files are available for QuickBooks 2007 to the latest version. 

You can use it with the sample company file backup to practice importing. Download the company file separately and restore it in QuickBooks. Also, please take note that when importing transaction file, there are usually three file header lines that occupy the first, second, and third rows (!TRNS, !SPL, and !ENDTRNS). 

You may refer to the example attached below which shows the file headers in an .IIF file lines in a check transaction.

For additional help, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care Support. They have tools to help you get to a resolution quickly. You can follow the steps provided by my colleague, JanyRoseB to get their contact information. 

Please know that I'm just a post away if you have any other questions about importing data to QuickBooks. I'll be happy to help you out. Have a great day ahead. 

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

Yes, there are a lot of change sin QB 2019 for import.  Some cause issues like you're seeing that don't need to be issues. In this case there is only one date on a transactions, from the TRNS row, and so it matters not in the least what the dates on the SPL rows are.

If you follow our recommendations you should be able to get it to work as-is. See QuickBooks 2019 IIF Import Changes and Recommendations 

Frequent Explorer *

Do you know of anyone who can help me move from using the old iif format and onto the new one?   Basically I want someone to look at my current data file and instruct me how we should export my sales out of my software so it is in the correct iif format for 2019.   

Frequent Explorer *

Looking at the example above, why does it cut off at column F.  I am following what is needed... but isn't it leaving off a big portion of what is needed for the import file? 

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for coming back to the Intuit Community, @Iceguy.

To ensure the old IIF format is transferred to the new file format, I recommend using a third-party application. The Intuit Marketplace site is a place where users can find add-on applications that are approved by Intuit.

Make sure to enter a keyword in the Search field to narrow down the process. For example, IIF importer.

QuickBooks will show lists of supported apps. Just select one that matches your business needs.

Your sales will now be exported to the current IIF format.

Please leave me a comment with an update about how things go. I want to make sure that you're taken care of.

Frequent Explorer *

I have always been able to just go File - Utilities - Import - iif files.  Why would I want to go to third party app if the tools are right there to import?   I am currently doing it now with virtually no fails...  in fact been doing it since 2004.   I just want to adjust it to work with 2019 format.. all I need is to know where things needs to be in the iif file.  

I guess I am a bit confused.   Is QB trying to promote the sales of third party apps to do this?   

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Iceguy.

We are not promoting the sales of the third party to import Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files. We only provide available resources when you need help with creating or importing .IIF files.

Among these are:

• You can contact the application's technical support department if the .IIF file was created by a third-party application
  • You can refer to the documentation provided with the import kit you used. Just check out this article for your reference: IIF Overview: import kit, sample files, and headers
  • You can search the QuickBooks Learn and Support site (US) or In-Product Help (Within QuickBooks, press F1 on your keyboard).

To import your .IIF file into QuickBooks 2019, you can check out the Improved IIF Import in QuickBooks 2019 article for the steps and details.

You can also follow the recommended troubleshooting steps provided by BRC.

Feel free to reply to this post if you need anything else with importing .IIF files in QuickBooks.