cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virusys
Level 2

Intuit FCS Service

The Intuit FCS service will not stay ON regardless of the manual/auto/auto-delayed settings you apply to it.

Is it defective?

39 Comments 39
AlcaeusF

Intuit FCS Service

Hello and welcome to the Community, virusys.

It would be my pleasure to help you with the Intuit FCS service in QuickBooks. However, I need additional details to provide the exact troubleshooting for the issue.

We usually perform Clean Install/Uninstall to fix any QuickBooks component problem on a system. To avoid doing this, I need more information about what's happening on your end including when you run QuickBooks Desktop.

Any extra details or screenshots you can provide will help to ensure a timely solution.

AlcaeusF

Intuit FCS Service

Hello there, virusys.

I haven't heard from you in a while. Allow me to lend a hand with using the Intuit FCS Service.

If you continue to experience any problem with the QuickBooks components, you can go ahead and perform Clean Install/Uninstall. For the detailed steps on how you can perform the process, I'm adding the article I suggest:

Using clean install for Windows.

Please be sure to let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I'll be around for you.

billbaker
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

when I update quickbooks 2018 some of the updates download and install but most do not. The error message #15242 reads the "fcs service is damaged" Also it refers me to www.quickbooks.com/support\update.html but the page says the page cannot be found. How do I repair the FCS?

billbaker
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

fcs is defective

Anonymous
Not applicable

Intuit FCS Service

We'll get your QuickBooks updated, billbaker.

Errors like 15242 occurs when there's an interruption during updating QuickBooks. The Internet Explorer function to register digital signature isn't working. Or, the anti-virus sees QuickBooks Desktop as a risk which causes some updates aren't downloaded.

By running the Reboot.bat file, it re-registers QuickBooks-related extensions in Microsoft Windows and resolves this error. Here's how:

1. Close QuickBooks. 
  2. Open the folder containing the reboot.bat file: 
    • Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop, and select Properties.
    • Select Open file location.
  3. Right-click the reboot.bat file, and choose Run as Administrator.
    • Few pointers: Make sure that you run reboot.bat as the Windows Administrator. The file may display as reboot.bat or reboot, depending on your Windows Folder Options settings.
  4. A Command (DOS) window (black window) will open with rapidly scrolling file names. Do not manually close this window. When the reboot.bat file utility has completed, the window will close.
  5. Restart your computer.
  6. Open QuickBooks.

Once your company file is open, let's update QuickBooks again. 

To seek more help about QuickBooks, please post your questions here in the Community. We'll be right here. 

Quasimetallica
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

After migrating from a Win 7 to a new Win 10 machine via Laplink, we seem to have a couple of issues:

(1) "The file exists."  When opening our company file, it prompts "the file specified cannot be opened.  Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file."  We keep clicking OK for 30 or 40 times, and eventually reach a prompt for HELP or CANCEL.  It tells us that FCS Service is damaged (Error 15243).  We cancel at this prompt, and then the company file is loaded and continues to work OK.

(2) We checked for the Error 15243, but we do not see it anywhere on your support pages.  We updated the whole payroll, and hopefully resolved this issue.  We have not closed our company file after this update, so we do not yet know.  Anyway, what is the Error 15243?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Intuit FCS Service

Thanks for joining us here in the Community, @Quasimetallica.

QuickBooks error 15243 will typically occur when Intuit FCS Service is disabled.. These are possibly caused by the following reasons:

• A corrupt download/ incomplete QuickBooks installation.
  • Corruption in the Windows registry because of the recent QuickBooks software change, probably an installation or Uninstalling it.
  • Intuit FCS Service is not running.
  • Anti-Virus is blocking access to download the latest file.

There are various solutions to resolve this issue. Before doing so, make sure to create a backup copy of your company file to prevent data loss.

After that, let's start with enabling the QuickBooks Desktop File Copy Service(FCS).

To do that:

1. Tap on Windows+R keys together from keyboard to open Run window.
  2. Type COMPMGMT.MSC into the Run command and hit on OK.
  3. Now Computer Management Window will open then press on Services and Applications.
  4. Then tick on Services.
  5. Now scroll the cursor down, until you found Intuit QuickBooks FCS and make a double click on it.
  6. Click on Startup type and choose Manual.
  7. Then click Apply.
  8. Press on OK.

Once done, re-validate the payroll's service key to refresh the connection.

Here's how:

1. Go to Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Choose My Payroll Service.
  3. Then select Activate Service Key
  4. Under the Service Keys window highlight the current payroll and select Edit.
  5. Click on Next until finish comes up.

Please see screenshots below for visual reference:

If the issue persists after trying these steps, I recommend repairing your QuickBooks and run the latest tax table updates afterward. Here are the links that you can visit on how to perform the process:

You've got me here to help if you have any other questions. Just notify me by dropping a reply below. Have a Merry Christmas, Quasimetallica!

Quasimetallica
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

OK, it appears to have been repaired now, thank you very much.  We encountered the same Error 15243 after repairing the FCS, so we went through the whole repair and update.  It seems that OneDrive is not quite happily in sync with QuickBooks.

vfwpost943
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

I can't update my payroll...I get error 15243...and it hasn't updated in 28 days and 30 days is the max

vfwpost943
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

I can't update payroll I receive error 15243

Kayla H
QuickBooks Team

Intuit FCS Service

Hi there, @vfwpost943.

I'm glad to have you here in the Community. The reasons this error may be happening:

• Improper installation process.
  • Corrupted or infected Windows program.
  • If the firewall or anti-virus, program blocks the server communication.
  • Incorrect QuickBooks update.
  • Poor Internet connection.

Here are resolutions for this error.

1. Update QuickBooks Payroll Manually.

2. Install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup.

3. Run Reboot.bat file.

4. Perform a clean install of QuickBooks desktop.

5. Incorrect Identification number .

6. Select Internet Explorer as the default app.

These steps will get your company up and going in no time. Keep me updated. I'm here to lend a helping hand at any time.

BethA1
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

I am getting a message that the QuickBooks FCS Service is damaged.  What do I need to do to solve the problem.

Kayla H
QuickBooks Team

Intuit FCS Service

Hello, @BethA1.

Thank you for going through the troubleshooting steps I have provided above. I see that you're getting the error FSC Service is damage. Let's go ahead and uninstall QuickBooks and run a clean install to repair any damage. Before you uninstall the Application, you'll need the License and Product number. These numbers appear in the Help menu.

This option will display the information you need to re-install the program. Before you close QuickBooks, make sure to create a backup of the company file.

Once you have the license number and backup of the file, you can begin to uninstall QuickBooks. 

1. Open the Start Menu and locate the Control Panel.

2. Choose Programs, then Programs and Features.

3. Right-Click the version of QuickBooks that needs to be un-installed to get the options Uninstall/Change.

4. Follow the instructions and select the option to remove to get rid of the application completely.

5. Install the Tool Hub to run the clean install before installing QuickBooks.

Open Tool Hub. (Right-click the icon and run as the administrator).

6. On the right-hand side, pick Installation issues and then Clean install tool and follow the instructions.

Once this is complete, all the temporary files are gone, and you're error-free. Now you can  Install Quickbooks.

You are all set. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. I'm happy to help at any time. Have a great day.

virusys
Level 2

Intuit FCS Service

Thanks for the very detailed instructions. I did as described and checked in Services to see if Intuit FCS was running. It was and was set as Manual trigger.

Today, after an attempted update overnight, the service is turned off and is set as Disabled.

I reset the updates and downloaded again - some of them worked, others didn't. The FCS service is still disabled.

It sounds to me that something more programmatic is going on here. In addition, other workstations on the network are having this same issue.  How can I get this problem dealt with??

virusys
Level 2

Intuit FCS Service

This is the "after update reset" - see how some updated and others failed? Yet after this, I checked Windows Services and Intuit Quickbooks FCS was still disabled.

MaryGraceS

Intuit FCS Service

Hi there, @virusys.

Thanks for providing additional screenshots and performing the steps shared by my colleagues. The resolutions they provided usually resolve issues like this for Intuit QuickBooks FCS service.

Since the FCS status still shows disabled, I recommend contacting our Customer Support team so they can take a look at your account and help identify what's causing this unexpected behavior.

Here's how: 

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message.

Also, please check out our support hours and contact us at a time convenient to you. 

I've also attached some articles you can use to track your employees' taxes after each payroll and to find out if you have the latest tax table:

Drop me a comment below if you have any other questions. Wishing you and your business continued success. 

LisaAir
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

Is this repair still the same as of today? I am about to attempt it. I have Error #15243. 

KlentB

Intuit FCS Service

Yes, it's still the same, LisaAir.

QuickBooks Error 15243 usually appears when we're trying to update QuickBooks Desktop. There are many factors that can trigger this error, I've listed them below:

• A corrupted download or incomplete QuickBooks installation.
  • Corruption in the Windows registry 
  • Intuit FCS Service is not running.
  • Anti-Virus is blocking access to download the latest file.

I encourage visiting this link to be guided in repairing your QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.

You can also perform the troubleshooting steps that I've listed below to resolve this error. Before diving in, let's make sure that we're using the latest version of QuickBooks and we've already secured a backup of your company file.

First, we'll have to close your QuickBooks, then enable the QuickBooks Desktop File Copy Service:

1. Press Windows+R keys together from keyboard to open Run window.
  2. Type COMPMGMT.MSC then click OK.
  3. Select Services and Applications, then click Services.
  4. Scroll down then double-click Intuit QuickBooks FCS.
  5. Click on Startup type and choose Manual.
  6. Then click Apply then OK.

Once done, re-validate the payroll's service key to refresh the connection:

1. Select Employees from the top menu bar.
  2. Choose My Payroll Service.
  3. Select Activate Service Key
  4. Click Edit from the Service Keys window
  5. Hit Next, then wait until the process is done.

I would also recommend updating getting the latest payroll tax table update to help isolate the issue.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please don't hesitate to drop a comment to this thread. I'll be right here to keep helping.

keikiclubhouse
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

I am trying to update my computer because it is time to pay employee.   Error 15243 comes up.

keikiclubhouse
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

An error code of 15243 comes up when I am trying to update my payroll files.

GlinetteC

Intuit FCS Service

Hi there, keikiclubhouse.

QuickBooks Payroll update error 15243 occurs when there's an interruption while doing an update in QuickBooks Desktop. Following are the lists of reasons for this error:

• The update is not complete
  • Due to damaged QuickBooks FCS
  • The QuickBooks FCS is not responding

Please check out the solutions on how to fix this:

Solution 1: Repair QuickBooks

1. On your keyboard, press Windows+E to open the Computer window.
  2. Click Uninstall or change a program.
  3. Select QuickBooks.
  4. Once QuickBooks is selected, click Uninstall/Change.
  5. In the QuickBooks Installation window, click Next, select the Repair radio button, click Next then click Repair.
  6. Click Finish.

Then, re-validate Service Key. Here's how:

1. Click Employees > My Payroll Service > Manage Service Key.
  2. The QuickBooks Service Keys will open.
  3. In the QuickBooks Service Keys window highlight the current payroll subscription and select Edit.
  4. Click Next through to Finish or click OK. QuickBooks will re-validate the payroll subscription.
  5. When the validation is complete, the tax table will update to the correct version.

Solution 2: Install all available Windows Updates

1. Click on the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type in Update and press Enter.
  3. The Windows Update dialog box will appear on your screen.
  4. Click the Install Updates button if there are available.

The above solutions will surely help you fix this payroll update error 15243 concern. 

Please keep me posted on how the steps work. I want to make sure everything is taken care of for you.

virusys
Level 2

Intuit FCS Service

It seems I can't get past step one.

The "Modify" button is greyed out and clicking "Uninstall" leads only to another "Uninstall" - I feel like clicking the second one will start the Uninstall process.

See https://www.screencast.com/t/uvtZ8EnT for a screenshot - the above image insert function isn't working for me.

2020-06-10_1055
Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.
ReyJohn_D

Intuit FCS Service

Let me add some info, @virusys.

On the next page of the uninstall process, you'll see and use the option to uninstall or repair your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT). This way, you can proceed with the next steps suggested by my peer @GlinetteC .

If you're unable to see or use the options, I suggest getting in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have the tools to verify your account and perform other steps to help fix the issue you're getting. I'll guide you on how to contact them:

1. Go to the Help menu then choose QuickBooks Desktop Help or press F1 in your keyboard.
  2. On the Have a Question? page, click Contact Us at the bottom part.
  3. Enter your question on the search box like "Unable to use the Uninstall/Repair options during uninstall" then click the Continue button once finished.
  4. Select either the Start a Message or Get a Callback option.

A22.PNG

Also, I want to make sure your issue gets prioritized and addressed on time, thus I'll be adding this article for the support hours. It contains the time when the support is available to assist you depending on your type of subscription. Please refer to this resource for the details: Support hours for QBDT.

You can do a clean install of your QBDT in case you encounter company file issues. This won't affect your data since your company file and everything it holds aren’t involved at all. Please refer to this handy resource as your guide: How to do a clean install for QBDT.

Feel free to get back here in the Community if you have more questions about the uninstall process in QBDT. I'd be glad to help you some more. Take care and stay safe.

gardener1
Level 1

Intuit FCS Service

I have not been able to email our invoices and statements, so I went to see if there was some updates that needed done.  I found 7 different updates with errors, I have tried several times to run the updates but continue to receive the errors, and have closed out of QB and reopened it with no different results.

there are the files and errors

Essentials; new features; maintenance releases; Pro; and Date Protect all show error 15243

Protocol Handler; Move Quickbooks show error 15227

When I purchased or rather updated my QB to Pro Desktop 2019 it was updated via web so I don't have a hard copy of the program.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us