cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor *
Solved

Invoice Emails Not Sending With Outlook

I keep getting this error message when trying to email invoices......

"QuickBooks is having problems communicating with your email program."

I have gone through the necessary steps, making the program default, etc. I use the newest version of Outlook that is locally installed on my Macbook pro, not on the cloud. This works well on my other macbook pro running the same version of Quickbooks but an older version of Outlook if i remember correctly.

Best answer 01-10-2019 12:07 PM

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Contributor *

Re: Invoice Emails Not Sending With Outlook

So I figured out a solution, I setup an app specific password for Quickbooks via Google admin and setup the email manually in Quickbooks. Looks like Apple Script was having the issue somehow.

9 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Let's try one more solution before we consult our Technical Support Team, platinumedition.

Updating the installation of your QuickBooks for Mac helps resolve issues in the program. You can follow these steps to update the software:

1. Click QuickBooks [year] Server next to the Apple logo.
  2. Go to the Check for QuickBooks Server updates section.
  3. Click Install Update.
  4. Select Install and Relaunch.

Then, try emailing the invoice again to see if goes through. If the same thing happens, please give us a call so we can fix it for you.

Here's how:

1. Go to this link https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Click the Using QuickBooks for Mac topic.
  4. Scroll down and click the Get Phone Number button.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need.

Established Community Backer **

By default QuickBooks Mac communicates with Outlook via AppleScript. Under Mojave OS Apple has locked down the permissions for such inter application communication.  When QuickBooks first attempts to communicate a system dialog will come up asking for your authorization. If you deny that authorization the OS will never ask again and communication will fail.  This may be the issue.

To see, quit QuickBooks. Open the Terminal application.  Type the following command:

tccutil reset AppleEvents

Then relaunch QuickBooks and try the emailing again.  If you see a dialog asking for permission for QuickBooks to access Outlook please allow it.  That may fix the issue.

Another way around this is to go to QuickBooks->Preferences and click on email.  There you can enter the email communication parameters for your email server (it should be similar to what is already entered in Apple->System Prefs under Internet Accounts and Outlook).   This allows QuickBooks to send email itself to the server.  That is a more reliable way to send as it doesn't use AppleScript. But it does require more configuration. 

Frequent Contributor *

Hi there! 

So I tired the terminal option and after launching Quickbooks the prompt did come up. Gave two options----Don't Allow & OK. I clicked OK, but it still gave the same error I initially posted.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for trying the troubleshooting steps my colleagues gave you, platinumedition.

I now suggest contacting QuickBooks Mac support to have this further investigated. They have more tools to take a better look at this.

Here's how to contact us:

1. Go to this link https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Click the Using QuickBooks for Mac topic.
  4. Click the Get Phone Number button.

You're always welcome to post anytime if you have other concerns. Have a nice day! 

Frequent Contributor *

Im just confused, I am running 2 Macbook pros on Mojave with the same version of Quickbooks. One Macbook has the issue and the other runs seamlessly.

QuickBooks Team

Hello, platinumedition.

There could be some setting or system requirements that your one MacBook was not able to meet. Our phone support team can launch a viewing season to both of your MacBooks. Through this, they can identify the cause why it worksfinewith one MacBook and not in the other.

Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions.

Frequent Contributor *

One Macbook Pro is a 2014 15" model the other is a brand new 2018 Macbook Pro 15" model.

Frequent Contributor *

So I figured out a solution, I setup an app specific password for Quickbooks via Google admin and setup the email manually in Quickbooks. Looks like Apple Script was having the issue somehow.

QuickBooks Team

Greetings, platinumedition,

Thanks for getting back to us and sharing your resolution to the forum.

The solution will surely benefit other users experiencing the same issue for emailed invoices.  I'm also glad you're all set now. Please feel free to get back to us if you have any more QuickBooks concerns you need help with. You got me here to help you whenever you needed me.

I appreciate your time today, platinumedition. Wishing your business continued success!