cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jccelec
Level 1

Invoice Numbers Not Saving

I just started using the 2019 Desktop version.  I wanted to start with a higher invoice number, (1901 vs 1).  I've had to manually change each invoice number.  QuickBooks is not keeping the invoices in sequential order.  For example, after doing Invoice No. 1903, the next invoice comes up as 4, not 1904.  How do I correct this?

Thank you in Advance!

Solved
Best answer January 03, 2019

Best Answers
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for dropping by the QuickBooks Community, jccelec.

I want to ensure you're able to use the correct number when creating an invoice.

When creating a transaction, QuickBooks takes the last number recorded and automatically increments this number by one for each new invoice.

Since you’ll be using a different number sequence, you’ll have to first manually update the invoice counter. Let me provide you the step by step process.

1. Go to Customers at the top menu bar, then choose Create Invoices.
  2. Create a dummy invoice.
  3. In the Invoice # field, enter a number less than the correct one. For example, if the correct invoice number is 90, enter 89 in the field box.
  4. Click Save.

The next time you create an invoice, QuickBooks will assign the correct number. Before creating a new one, make sure to first delete the dummy invoice to keep your records in order.

Here’s how:

1. Click Previous at the top of the window to find the invoice.
  2. From the Edit menu, choose Delete Invoice.

Feel free to check out this link, to learn more on what’s new in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2019.

Should you have any questions working in QuickBooks, leave me a comment. I’ll be happy to lend a helping hand

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for dropping by the QuickBooks Community, jccelec.

I want to ensure you're able to use the correct number when creating an invoice.

When creating a transaction, QuickBooks takes the last number recorded and automatically increments this number by one for each new invoice.

Since you’ll be using a different number sequence, you’ll have to first manually update the invoice counter. Let me provide you the step by step process.

1. Go to Customers at the top menu bar, then choose Create Invoices.
  2. Create a dummy invoice.
  3. In the Invoice # field, enter a number less than the correct one. For example, if the correct invoice number is 90, enter 89 in the field box.
  4. Click Save.

The next time you create an invoice, QuickBooks will assign the correct number. Before creating a new one, make sure to first delete the dummy invoice to keep your records in order.

Here’s how:

1. Click Previous at the top of the window to find the invoice.
  2. From the Edit menu, choose Delete Invoice.

Feel free to check out this link, to learn more on what’s new in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2019.

Should you have any questions working in QuickBooks, leave me a comment. I’ll be happy to lend a helping hand

jccelec
Level 1

Simple fix!  Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello jccelec,

We're glad to hear that everything got fixed. If you have any questions, please let us know. Thanks! 

lindaridd
Level 1

Thank you so much -- It worked!!!!

Mwheatley
Level 1

We are having the exact same problem, but the suggested fix did not work. Any other remedies? Thank you

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Hi @Mwheatley,

Welcome to this thread. I appreciate you following the suggested workaround provided by my colleague. 

Since the suggested fix did not resolve for you, try to check if you have recurring invoices pending in your account. 

Once confirmed, I'd suggest you create and set an alpha-numeric invoice number as your starting point instead. QuickBooks will then make the next invoice number in sequential order. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Customers menu.
  2. Choose Create Invoices.
  3. Create a dummy invoice.
  4. In the Invoice # field, enter an alpha-numeric figure in the field box such as A1000.
  5. Click Save.

When you create an invoice the next time, QuickBooks will assign the correct number in an alpha-numeric sequence. Before creating a new one, make sure to first delete the dummy invoice to keep your records in order. Here’s how:

1. Click Previous at the top to find the invoice.
  2. Choose Delete Invoice from the Edit menu.

Please let me know how it goes, @Mwheatley. We're always here to help. 

LibertyMachine
Level 1

Quickbooks is not saving last used invoice number and increasing by one increment.   I use the first two digits as the year, then sequenced there after, for example 19-0001 was the first invoice in 2019.  For 2020, I manually edited the first invoice to 20-0001, but QB keeps defaulting the sequential numbering to the last 2019 invoice.  Please help!!

TIA!

LibertyMachine
Level 1

This is the first year that QB's will not update my invoice numbering sequence.  I use the year as the first two digits, then sequential; for example 19-0001 was the first invoice in 2019.  For 2020 I updated the first invoice of the year to 20-0001, but QB's keeps defaulting the sequential numbering from the last 2019 invoice number.  I have been doing this since 2015 and never had this problem before.  Any ideas???

AileneA
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @LibertyMachine

Thank you for posting to the Community. 

Let me guide you on how to sort your invoice numbering in QuickBooks. We can verify rebuild your data to check if this cause the problem. The damage can often be repaired by rebuilding/verifying which puts a list back to its default order.   

To run Verify Data utility:  

1. Select File at the top and choose Utilities
  2. Click Verify Data
  3. If there are issues found, you’ll be prompted to Rebuild Now.   

verify1.PNG

Here’s how to run the Rebuild utility:  

1. Click the File tab at the top. 
  2. Select Utilities from the drop down option. 
  3. Choose Rebuild Data
  4. Click Ok on Rebuild has completed. 

rebuild.PNG

For additional troubleshooting steps, please refer to this article: Resolve data damage with your QuickBooks Desktop company file 

After verifying and rebuilding data, we can close and reopen your file after revamp it. 

Please keep me posted how it goes. I'm here to lend a hand. Have a wonderful day ahead of you!

LibertyMachine
Level 1

There were no problems found, but it fixed it!  Thank you!

leawheeler
Level 1

None of these worked. There was one other step and I can't tell you what it was because I was fussing around with this nonsense for so long and finally something worked. 

It would be so nice if you could make functions like this much simpler.

brian218
Level 1

None of these are working. I verified and rebuilt data, closed and opened the file, and created a "dummy" invoice. But if I tab or enter key out of the invoice number field, or click the "Save and New" button, the number in the invoice number field goes back to the duplicate number that's causing the problems.

MJoy_D

Thank you for trying the steps provided on this thread in getting rid of the error, @brian218.

Since you're still unable to resolve the error you're having, I suggest reaching out to our Customer Support team. They can get into the account in a secure environment and resolve it. 

Follow the steps below on how to reach them:

1. From your QuickBooks Desktop account, click the Help menu at the top.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Provide some information about this concern in the search box.
  4. Click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the window.
  5. You'll now be provided with a few support options.
  6. Select Get a call to arrange a callback from a support agent. Or Start a chat to chat with them directly.

You can check this article for more information about the different types of support we offer and their availability: Contact QuickBooks Desktop support.

Check out this article on how to record an invoice payment

Let me know if you need further help with your invoices. I'm always here to help. Have a great rest of the day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us