cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GA_Abbie
Level 1

Invoice from a Sales Order Using Barcode Scanner

We are currently using quickbooks enterprise / advanced inventory and would like to incorporate bar code scanning during the picking, packing, shipping and return process. Right now, we ship merchandise to customers and keep track of this using sales orders and would like to use the sales order worksheet to assist us with tracking, while utilizing bar code scanning. However, we allow our customers to return items, thus the final invoice would NOT match the sales order. Is there a way to incorporate the bar code scanning for the return shipments to create the invoice from the sales order, knowing the final invoice quantity per item will not match the original sales order quantity? No, we don't know how much they will sell each time.

4 Comments 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, @GA_Abbie.

Thank you for reaching out in the Community about the return shipments on your Sales Order. Let me help ensure these items goes back in your inventory.

You can create a credit memo transaction to process the returned items. If these items are no longer salable, you'll have to adjust the quantity after creating the credit memo.

Here's how to create a credit memo:

1. From the Customers menu, select Create Credit Memos/Refunds.
  2. From the Customer: Job drop-down, select the appropriate Customer.
  3. Enter the returned items in the line item area, then select Save & Close.
  4. On the Available Credit window, choose one of the following:
  •         Retain as an available credit - QuickBooks enters a negative amount in your A/R register for the credit memo. You can use this credit as payment for another transaction.
  •         Give a refund - You can issue the refund as cash, a check, or a credit card refund.
  •         Apply to an invoice - QuickBooks opens the Apply Credit to Invoices window where you can select an invoice to which you want to apply this credit.

You can refer to this article for more details: Record a credit memo or refund in QuickBooks Desktop.

Once you're done, click OK. If the items are no longer fit for sale, you can follow the process on this article guide to adjust the quantity of the inventory items: Adjust inventory quantity or value.

That should do it. Let me know if you have additional questions about the process. I'm here to lend a hand if you need my help. Have a good one. 

GA_Abbie
Level 1

How do I show on my invoice the credit / which exact items were returned? Right now when I apply the retained credit to the invoice, it just shows as partially paid rather than showing "why" and "what" was returned. Our customers will need to see this.

thanks!

GA_Abbie
Level 1

This is what it looks like on my end when I apply the credits.

The amount sold should be 9 AL and 9 CS but still showing as 10 and you can see a payment made at the bottom.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you coming back to us for additional support, @GA_Abbie.

Currently, the option to add the returned items on the invoice template in QuickBooks Desktop is unavailable. I recommend checking our App Store to look for an application that can help you with more customization. 

Please know that I’m taking note of your feedback and passing it along here on my end.

That's it. Keep me posted if there's anything else you need. I'm always here for you.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us