cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiguelG
Level 3

Issuing refunds using new PayPal app

I'm confused as to how to categorize refunds using the new PayPal sync app.

1. A customer purchased tickets using PayPal for a total of $68.

2. I added it as a sales receipt. A $1.80 fee was also added to the PayPal Fees expense account. See screenshot:

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 4.46.26 PM.png

3. I needed to issue a refund for the purchased, so I went to PayPal and refunded the purchase. This is how the refund was processed:

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 4.18.17 PM.png

4. So the PayPal balance is $0. The PayPal app synced automatically with QBO, and now I have for review these two transactions:

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 4.50.54 PM.png

5. If I add both of them then I have a Quickbook negative balance of $3.60. So what's going on and what's the proper way to do this?

11 Comments 11
HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Greetings, MiguelG.

Thank you for providing the complete details of your concern for today. I can help you categorize the refund to settle the Paypal transactions.

You will have to create a refund receipt and match it to your synced PayPal transaction. Here's how to do it:

1. Click the Plus icon.
  2. Choose Refund Receipt.
  3. Enter the important fields.
  4. Click Save and close.

On the Banking page, you will have to match your PayPal transaction to the created refund receipt. For the detailed instruction, you can refer to this article: How to add and match downloaded banking transactions.

That should guide you through the process, MiguelG.

You can leave a comment below if you have other questions about the banking feature in QuickBooks. Have a blissful day!

MiguelG
Level 3

Either I didn't understand your "solution" or you didn't understand my question.

What you seem to be describing is what I already did to enter the expense transaction for the PayPal fee and the sales receipt for the purchased tickets.

My question is about how to refund the purchase while reviewing the synced transactions from the PayPal app.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @MiguelG.

I appreciate the call out. I've already updated my answer. 

As mentioned above, you will have to create a refund receipt and match it to the synced PayPal transaction. The refund receipt must have the total amount of $68. 

Let me know how it goes or if there's anything else you need. Wishing you and your business continued success.

MiguelG
Level 3

Thank you for your prompt response.

Doing what you suggested created a negative balance of $1.80 in the PayPal QBO checking account and I still don't know what to do with the review transaction of $1.80.

Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 4.50.54 PM.png

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining back, MiguelG.

I can share some more insights to settle the negative balance of $1.80 on your Paypal QBO Checking account.

For the $1.80 PayPal fee, you will have to create an expense transaction once more and match it your online banking.

I'm still here for you if you have other questions. Just leave a comment below. Happy holidays!

devo1_1998
Level 1

Were you ever able to get this resolved? I’m having the same issue. 

Aphylis

Hello @devo1_1998,

If the scenario that you are encountering is the same to the screenshot provided by MguelG last 12-26-2018 05:11 PM.

Then I would suggest to follow my colleague HoneyLynn_G  by creating an expense to your sales account so this will offset the amount that was increased by your sales from PayPal.

Drop us a comment for further questions.

timc1
Level 1

Hello - Did this ever get resolved and can you explain what you did?  Or, possibly offer suggestions on a Related Post that appears similar with regard to refunding PayPal fees charged to the merchant.   

Thanks!

MirriamM

Hi there, timc1,

Thanks for reaching out again to the Community.

My colleague have responded to your question in another thread and you can check the answer here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/How-to-solve-a-reconciliation-and-rep....

If you have any other questions you're welcome to reach back out. Have a great day!

timc1
Level 1

Hello - I'm aware of the other thread.  My question here is about the information presented in this thread.  

Was this thread every resolved and can you let us know what you did?  If so, it would be helpful to apply to other somewhat related issues.  Thanks and please let me know!

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Good day, timc1.

By following the steps provided above, you'll be able to process the refund for the Paypal fees.

You'll need to create a refund receipt through your PayPal app, then match it to the Paypal transaction.

Reply to this thread if you have other questions. Have a great one!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us