Does anyone know how QB 17 desktop that is on a network can develop this problem?
Thanks for reaching out to the Community, @jcarusocpa.
I’m here to provide some insight regarding this error message.
This error typically comes up when there is damage in the encryption of sensitive fields such as credit card numbers, social security, and bank accounts.
Then, you have to check the QuickBooks Admin user for damage. Here’s how:
1. Right-click the QuickBooks icon, then select Run as Administrator.
2. Enter login credentials.
3. Go to the Company menu and select Set Up Users and Passwords, then Set Up User (Pro or Premier). Go to the Company menu and select Users, then Set Up Users and Roles (Enterprise).
4. Select the Admin user, then Edit user.
5. Change the password to a temporary password.
6. Click Next, then Finish.
7. QuickBooks will re-encrypt data in your file. Please note that this may take several minutes. If QuickBooks crashes while encrypting, you may send your file to Data Services to remove all sensitive information from the file (Fees may apply).
8. Log off from the company file, then close the program.
9. Reopen QuickBooks and log back in as the Admin user to complete the re-encryption process.
To make sure the re-encryption was successful, check the QBWin.log file. To do that, follow the steps below:
1. Run the Verify Data Utility Tool.
2. Look for LVL_SEVERE_ERROR--GetMasterKey Failed: The decryption has failed or LVL_SEVERE_ERROR--GetDataAccessKey Failed: The decryption has failed in the recent entries of the log file.
3. If you see one of the errors, your file needs to be sent to Data Services to repair the damage. Please contact support to send your file.
4. If you don’t see any of these errors, change your password by following the steps given above.
For other recommend solutions, check out this article: Error: QBwin.log: LVL_SEVERE_ERROR--GetDecryptedCreditCardNumber The decryption has failed.
That should do it. Please give this a try and let me know how it goes. If you need further assistance, leave a reply below. I’ll be happy to help you out. Thanks for coming to the Community, and take care!