cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookkeepererin
Level 2

Merge 2 Customer:Jobs on Desktop for Mac 2019

How can I merge two duplicate Customer:Jobs into one?

Solved
Best answer April 18, 2019

Best Answers
IntuitBrooks
Level 9

They aren't allowed to have the exact same name. One of them may have a space at the end or be slightly different than the other one (a zero instead of the letter O or something similar).   Renaming one of them to match the other should cause the merge to occur.  

If all else fails try File->Utilities->Rebuild.  I know it looks for duplicate names.

View solution in original post

JaneD

Allow me to step into this conversation, Bookkeepererin.

The recommended troubleshooting steps above provided by my peer, IntuitBrooks, usually resolve issues like this. 

Just in case, you can also check out this article for the detailed steps for running the Verify and Rebuild tool in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac: Resolve data damage on your company file.

That should do it. Please update us about the results after running the tool. We're always here to help. Have a great day.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Charies_M

Hello there, Bookkeepererin.

It's my pleasure to help you merge two customer jobs in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. I'll walk you through the whole steps below.

Here's how to edit a job:

1. Go to Lists.
  2. Click Customer:Jobs.
  3. Select the customer you’re doing the job for.
  4. Click the Job Info tab.
  5. Enter the information about the job and click OK.

Here's a great resource that you can check on for more detailed steps (scroll down to page 80): Users Guide for QuickBooks for Mac.

This should help you merge the two duplicate Customer: Jobs in QuickBooks Desktop. 

Let me know if you have additional questions about this. I'm always around in the Community to help you out.

Bookkeepererin
Level 2

That didn't seem to work.  I still have two jobs for the same customer, and both jobs have the exact same name.

IntuitBrooks
Level 9

They aren't allowed to have the exact same name. One of them may have a space at the end or be slightly different than the other one (a zero instead of the letter O or something similar).   Renaming one of them to match the other should cause the merge to occur.  

If all else fails try File->Utilities->Rebuild.  I know it looks for duplicate names.

Bookkeepererin
Level 2

I double-checked and they are exactly the same.  I will try the rebuild, and respond with an update.  Thank you!

JaneD

Allow me to step into this conversation, Bookkeepererin.

The recommended troubleshooting steps above provided by my peer, IntuitBrooks, usually resolve issues like this. 

Just in case, you can also check out this article for the detailed steps for running the Verify and Rebuild tool in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac: Resolve data damage on your company file.

That should do it. Please update us about the results after running the tool. We're always here to help. Have a great day.

Bookkeepererin
Level 2

Thanks to you both!  I went in and Rebuilt and Verified the company data.

I then quit and logged back into Quickbooks, and changed the two job names to differ slightly (as they were still exactly the same), and then saved them.

I then changed them BACK to match exactly once again, and when I clicked Save, it prompted me to merge them.  It should be noted that I then received a pop-up error message stating that jobs with Estimates attached to them cannot be merged into the 'existing' job.  So I went into the Estimate and changed it to reflect the existing job.  I was then able to merge the duplicate job with the existing one.  And now, all is right in the world...  ;)

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

It's nice to see you here again, @Bookkeepererin.

I'm glad to hear that everything is working on your end now.

Please know that the Community has your back, and I'd be glad to help if you ever need further assistance. Cheering you to continued success! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us