Did you mean: 
ilanit
Level 1

My company file won't open

3 Comments 3
JenoP

Hi there, ilanit.

Can you tell us what happens every time you open the file? If QuickBooks isn't responding, let's repair the software. This process helps resolve common program-related issues such as page not responding or unusual behaviors. Here's how:

1. Create a Back up your QuickBooks company file.
  2. Open your computer's Control Panel. (In Windows 8/8.1: From the Start menu, open Search and type Control Panel. From the results, select Control Panel.)
  3. Look for Programs and Features. Then, choose Uninstall a program.
    (If you don't see these options, click Programs, and then select Program Features)
  4. Click QuickBooks in the list of programs, then click Uninstall/Change.
  5. Select Continue, then Next.
  6. Select Repair then Next. Wait for the Repair to complete.

Restart your computer once the repair is complete. Then, check if you can already open the company file.

In case you're getting an unrecoverable error, please open this article and follow the steps to resolve the error: Unrecoverable Error when opening a QuickBooks Desktop file on a workstation.

Please let me know if you have follow-up questions. I'll get back here to help you again. 

Ronnie-02
Level 1

When I go into my desktop to open Quick Books it says I can not open

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Ronnie-02.

I'm here to help you get this sorted out to keep your QuickBooks running and so you can get back to your business.

Let's perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve the problems when opening your QuickBooks company file. First, let's make sure your QuickBooks Desktop is updated to the latest release.

Now, let's verify that only one computer is hosting your company file. Turn off hosting in all computers aside from the server. Here's how:

1. At the top menu bar, click File.
  2. Select Utilities.
  3. Click Stop hosting multi-user access. If you see anything other than Stop hosting multi-user access, it means hosting is currently turned off on that computer.
  4. Make sure that your QuickBooks Desktop Program is not corrupted.

If these steps fail to resolve your issue, you can check this article for more troubleshooting steps: Resolve Problems Opening QuickBooks Desktop or your Company File

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Dekstop Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a remote session. 

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

Please let me know how it goes. I'll be around to help if you have further questions about opening QuickBooks company file. Have a good one. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us