cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NSF deposits from vendors in 2013 QuickBooks

I do books for a construction company and a customer paid by cheque it was deposited and bounced. I did the journal entry depositing the money into td bank again but its not showing in undeposited funds. There is only the new deposit showing in reconciliation. How can I do this in the 2013 QuickBooks so both deposits are there and the customers amount owing is correct. Can someone show me an example of how to post this nsf cheque and do the new deposit but have it show both deposits in the bank reconciliation as they are both on the bank statement. Thanks urgent.  

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: NSF deposits from vendors in 2013 QuickBooks

Hello there, require instruction asap.

I'm glad you've reached out to the QuickBooks Community. Let me help guide you on how to record the bounced check from a customer in QuickBooks Desktop. 

You'll need to manually record bounced check to show the two transactions in the bank register. First, you'll need to create an account and item for tracking NSF checks. 

To create an account, here's how:

1. From the Lists menu, select Chart of Accounts.
  2. Right click anywhere in the Chart of Accounts, then select New.
  3. In the Add New Account window, select Income, then select Continue.
  4. In the Account Name field, enter Bounced Checks Income.
  5. Select Save & Close.

Right after, you can now create an item for the NSF fee your bank may charge you. Here's how:

1. From the Lists menu, select Item List.
  2. Right click anywhere in the Item List window, then select New.
  3. On the Type drop-down, select Other Charge.
  4. In Item Name/Number field, enter Bad Check Charge.
  5. From the Tax Code drop-down arrow, select a non-taxable code.
  6. Select the Bounced Checks Income (created in step 1. a.) as the account for this item.

Once done, you can now proceed to step 2 until step 4 by following the detailed information in this article: Handle Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) or bounced check from customers

If you need further assistance with the process, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Chat Support. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a screen share.

Here's how you can contact our chat support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

This will get you on the right track. Feel me in if you have additional questions about recording bounced check. I'll be around to help. Wishing you and your business continued success.