cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NBP
Established Member

Print to PDF file name

I know it used to auto populate with the company name and invoice number, now it doesn’t. Anyone know how to turn that feature on again?

17 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Print to PDF file name

Hello, NBP.

Let me provide some information about automatic populating the name for PDF printing in QuickBooks Desktop.

Right now, there isn't a way to automatically populate the company name and invoice number when printing a PDF file in QuickBooks Desktop. As a workaround, you can change the name upon saving the PDF file.

If you'd like to have the option to directly change the PDF file name directly in QuickBooks, I suggest you let our Product Development Team know so they'll consider this in a future update.

To send feedback: 

1. Go to Help at the top menu bar.
  2. Click on Send Feedback Online.
  3. Select Product Suggestion.
  4. Enter your feedback or feature request.
  5. Click on Send Feedback.

You may find this article helpful: Troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop.

If you need help with QuickBooks in the future, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Let me know if you have questions about working in QuickBooks. I'll be sure to get back to answer them. Have a great weekend ahead.

NBP
Established Member

I think many people have since this is the only canned answer I keep seeing, so get on with it already!

QuickBooks Team

Hi NBP,

I'll be sure to pass this idea to our developers. That way they will know that you'd like to have an option to auto-populate the information you mentioned.

If you have other questions, you can always go back to this thread.

Established Community Backer ***

@NBP

It's not "Print To pdf" but Save As PDF. That always requires you to Name it and save it where you want it.

The PDF Function you are thinking of, with the Company name and Invoice, is the PDF attachment that is created behind the scenes when you use Send Later or Email from the top of the Invoice. That creation of that attachment has the naming convention you just asked about.

These are different functions.

NBP
Established Member

Save/Print PDF, same difference in any other program, it used to auto populate, now it doesn’t. If I wanted to talk about the email feature, I would of brought it up. Thanks. 

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, NBP.

As what my colleagues mentioned, this option is unavailable. I suggest sending feedback directly to our software engineers. Just follow the steps my colleague

@RoseMarjorieA provided.

I'll do my part by submitting this to our management team.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have other concerns. Have a good day! 

Established Community Backer ***

These are Not the same in QB, as in "any other program: "Save/Print PDF, same difference in any other program"

And the Only Place it populates is when it is generating the Email Attachment. Otherwise, you always get the Windows request for you to Name the output file that is being generated. You see:

*.pdf

in the Save Document As PDF pop up. You are supposed to replace the asterisk with what you want it Named.

"it used to auto populate, now it doesn’t. If I wanted to talk about the email feature, I would of brought it up."

Try one as Email to yourself, to see it.

NBP
Established Member

And yet I don't need to use the email feature EVER so why should I when on previous version of the software it was possible?

Experienced Member

In Quickbooks for Non Profit, after I record a donation, I want to email a receipt.  When I click "Email" it generates a thank you letter and includes an attached receipt. The attached receipt has a file name that begins "Cash Sale..." But since this is a donation instead of a purchase, I would like the attached file name to be "Donation Receipt..."  How can I change the File name to reflect this?

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, @Gayle920

I appreciate you sharing on-point details about emailing your receipt. 

Currently, there isn't an option to change the file name from Cash Sale to Donation Receipt when emailing a sales receipt to customers.

As an alternative, you'll need to manually save it as PDF and email it outside the program. Here's how: 

1. On the transaction form, click the Save drop-down at the top.  
  2. Select Save As PDF
  3. On the Save document as PDF window, enter Donation Receipt in the File name box.
  4. Once saved, you can go to your email and attach the document.

I'd also like sharing this article so you'll be able to learn more about the program: Help Articles for QuickBooks Desktop

Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have other concerns. I'll be around to help, @Gayle920. Take care always!

Experienced Member

Thanks, RaymondJayO!  Thanks for sharing the pictures as well.  This accomplishes the task, with an additional step, but I can at least send a receipt that won't present more questions because of a strange file name.  Please feel free to share this question and answer so it may help others.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @Gayle920.

I'm glad your issue about changing the file name from Cash Sale to Donation Receipt is now resolved by performing the workaround above.

Yes, the answers above are always accessible by other users when they're using this Community website. Cheers to you, @Gayle920!

It’s not but you do you. 

It’s not. 

And that’s not a workaround. 

I appreciate you joining us here in the Community today, @Criple15.

To give you the best resolution to your concern, may I know which specific part of the thread are you having issues with? Are you referring to the answer given by my peer, RaymondJayO above? 

Any other details of your concern will be much appreciated. 

Please don't hesitate to get back to me. I want to ensure you'll be taken care of. I'll keep an eye for your reply. Thank you.

Hi there, @Criple15.

I just wanted to check if you've already resolved the issue that you've been through. Since I didn't receive any response from you, I'd encourage you to post again here in the Community if you have any questions about QuickBooks. I'm always here to lend a helping hand.

Thank you so much for dropping by and wishing you all the best in everything that you do.