cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Profit and Loss by class

I have different classes in my company file.  When I try to run a Profit and Loss by class and choose multiple classes, there are not any choices in the filter field.  The filter field is blank.  I am not sure what is wrong as I have done this in the past.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

9 Comments 9
Adrian_A

Profit and Loss by class

You can do a basic troubleshooting, Nannie.

This will help your program to make sure that is it error free. Here's how:

1. Go to the Window menu and then select Close All.
  2. Click the File menu, then Utilities, and then Verify Data.
  3. After verifying, go back again to the File menu.
  4. Select Utilities and then Rebuild Data.
    If you received a warning message to back up your file, click OK.
    If asked to replace your backup file, select NO. Then, enter a new name in the File name field, then Save.
  5. Once you get the message Rebuild has completed, click OK.

After, run again the Profit and Loss by class report.

Let me know how these steps work in your end by clicking the Reply button.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Profit and Loss by class

Thank you for your help!  I have solved the issue.  I appreciate it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Profit and Loss by class

I have done the steps.  It worked but now I am back to not being able to filter by class again.  I have done the rebuild twice now.  Am very frustrated.  I am not able to provide good numbers to the share holders as I can't get this report to print by class.

Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Profit and Loss by class

Hey @Anonymous,

I appreciate you for running the Verify and Rebuild Data utilities to help view your report. Let me route you to the best support available to address this as soon as possible.

To properly address this concern, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support. This way, they can check further on why this occurs in your account and help you further.

Here's how you can contact them:

1. On your QuickBooks account, press F1 on your keyboard.
  2. Click on Contact Us.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Spikey1
Level 1

Profit and Loss by class

I am having the same problem with the P&L by class. It USED to work but now when I want to add classes under customize class it is just blank. This is really frustrating and I cannot run reliable reports. What happened?? I went through the whole troubleshooting you recommended for Nannie and it did nothing to fix the problem.

GraceC
QuickBooks Team

Profit and Loss by class

Hello there, @Spikey1.

I appreciate the steps you've taken to resolve this issue. I'm here to share some additional insights about this on-going issue.

We are aware of this and it has been reported. In the meantime, let's delete and recreate your transaction with the specific class. Then, pull up a report again to check if the class is showing.

I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team so they can add you in our list of affected users.

Here's how to contact our support:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. Go to Help, then select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Select Contact Us.

For additional references, you can read this article about data list errors: Re-sort lists

Please reach out again if you have any questions. Have a nice day!

cp1014
Level 2

Profit and Loss by class

I had the same problem with the P&L by Class report not sorting by the Class that is in the header of the invoice.  After many rebuilds and trouble shooting I remembered that the Class was added after the invoice was created and because of that, it wasn't sorting to the Class column. QB doesn't work backwards.  Are you adding the class after you have already created the invoice?  When I create a new estimate and/or invoice with the class in it, the reporting is accurate.  Just a thought to consider. 

S6abrina
Level 1

Profit and Loss by class

Not sure what to do having same problem

S6abrina

LieraMarie_A
QuickBooks Team

Profit and Loss by class

Not to worry, @S6abrina. The Community has your back. We're here to ensure we isolate the issue so you can choose multiple classes in your Profit and Loss by Class.

Did you run the Verify/Rebuild tool suggested above? Verify will detect any damaged data and Rebuild will attempt to fix them. It also allows your QuickBooks software to refresh the data inside the company file. Make sure to create a backup copy before doing the process. Having a backup copy allows you to restore it to undo the changes.

Follow the steps below on how to verify data:

1. On the top menu, click File.
  2. Choose Utilities.
  3. Select Verify Data.
    1.JPG
  4. Click OK when you see the message, QuickBooks detected no problem with your data.
  5. If Verify finds an issue with your data, you'll be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors.
  6. Click Close or View Errors and take note of the specific error message.

Next, here's how to rebuild data:

1. On the top menu, click File.
  2. Choose Utilities.
  3. Select Rebuild Data.
    2.JPG
  4. Click OK if you receive a prompt to back up your company file.
  5. Click OK when you get the message, Rebuild has completed and proceed to the next step.
  6. Run Rebuild Data again to make sure there's no error.

Additionally, make sure your QuickBooks Desktop is up-to-date. This way, you always have the latest features and fixes.

I'm always here if you have further concerns about customizing reports. I'd be glad to hear more from you in the comment section.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us