cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeIoak
Level 3

Purchasing Product in Different Quantities

In order to get some volume discounts on a part I will purchase some in a case quantity of 2500 and then some in boxes of 50.

I have setup products before using units of measure but how do you keep track of the same part so it shows a total of the combined orders?

For instance if I order 1 case of 2500 pieces and then 4 boxes of 50 I will have an inventory amount of 2700 pieces of "product x".

12 Comments 12
GeorgeIoak
Level 3

I forgot to mention that my problem comes into play when I am creating an inventory assembly. When you create the assembly you need to select items and now I have 1 item for when I purchase 2500 pieces in a carton/case and another item when I purchase 50 in a box.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @GeorgeIoak.

Thank you for providing extra details about your concern. I can help you enter and set up the items in QuickBooks Desktop.

When entering the item, you must select the correct unit of measurement and groupings. I'll show you how:

1. Click Lists.
  2. Choose Item List.
  3. Right-click on your mouse, click New.
  4. Choose Inventory Part for the item type.
  5. Go to the Unit of Measure section and click Add New.
  6. Select Count and Next.
  7. Choose Each and Next.
  8. Select Box and Case, then click Next.
  9. Enter 50 each = 1 box and click OK.
  10. Enter 2500 each =1 case.
  11. Select the appropriate unit of measure.
  12. Click Finish.
  13. Select the income account.
  14. Click OK to save the item.

You can create other items with different set of measurement, GeorgeIoak. For in-depth information, please refer to this article: Use single and multiple units of measure for items.

I'm still here to help you further if you have more questions about inventory. Just leave a comment or mention my name. Wishing you all the best!

GeorgeIoak
Level 3

Hi @HoneyLynn_G 

Thank for the detailed information yet I'm sorry but I'm still a bit confused. I see now how you can enter related UOM but what do you do if the cost is different. If I buy a case the cost per piece is less than when I buy only a box.

I would assume that I could just override the cost when I enter a PO but then that means I have to remember what the case cost is.

I think with your solution I would have to enter only 1 inventory item so that would solve my inventory tracking. This would also allow me to create my Inventory Assembly so that's a step in the right direction.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hi again, @GeorgeIoak.

Thank you for getting back for additional support. You have a lot of options in assigning a different cost for the items in QuickBooks Desktop.

• You can follow the steps I've provided and assign a specific amount. Then, create a different item again with specific cost.
  • You can leave the cost field zero. This way, you can manually enter an amount when you create a sales transaction.
  • You can create an assembly item and assign a cost amount. This allows you to sell a collection of products and services together. 
  • You can also use our Advanced Pricing feature. This allows to changes the prices of items on sales forms according to rules you create. Each price rule can contain multiple conditions that must be met before QuickBooks Desktop changes the sales price.

Let me know which option you prefer, GeorgeIoak. I'm still here to offer my assistance. You can always mention my name again. Have a wonderful day ahead!

GeorgeIoak
Level 3

Hi @HoneyLynn_G 

I don't have the Enterprise version, I have Premier Manufacturing so I think the Advanced Pricing Feature isn't an option for me.

I've been using assembly items for years so I'm familiar with that.

Creating a 2nd item with the lower case cost doesn't work because when you create an assembly item you must choose a item to add to the assembly. I don't think QB will let me create 2 items but consider them the same item when dealing with inventory matters.

If I don't put a cost in every time I go to order I'll have to look up the cost that was quoted to me. So what would be ideal is to have 1 item that can be purchased in different quantities. We can do that now but what's missing is the ability to choose a different cost for each UoM used.

If I didn't use this item in an "assembly item" then having 2 different items would be the way to go. But since this item that I buying is going to be used in an assembly QB needs to manage my inventory correctly.

I feel like I must be missing something. Most businesses have the option getting volume discounts on items so it doesn't make sense to have to enter a different item just because the bundled total is different.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, @GeorgeIoak.

Allow me to step in again and share some more insights.

Currently, the available feature for Premier Manufacturing is the Price Level. However, I know some applications you can integrate with QuickBooks to do the Advanced Pricing.

You can visit our QuickBooks Marketplace. This site provide third party applications which are most compatible with QuickBooks. You get a better comparison of products that best suits your business' needs.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out back to me in the future if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'll be more than happy to assist you whenever you needed me.

Rustler
Level 15

@GeorgeIoak 

ahhh, to get to the point of the original question

QB keeps average cost for inventory items, in premier and pro there is no other option. When you sell an inventory item the average cost of that item is posted to COGS. Regardless of whether you buy one, 50, or 2500, QB calculates a new average cost. total value / total qty = average cost.

When you enter a purchase, you enter the qty and the actual amount you paid, average cost in QBDT spreads that out across the qty in stock.

In the assembly item you specify the item and qty.
The cost block on the assembly item does nothing in terms of impacting assembly item cost when you build it.
The cost block on the item screen does nothing either if you are entering a purchase of the item as required.

IF, if you have not turned on multiple unit of measure, I do not recommend using it, see this for why
http://onsale-apparel.com/Rustler/tag/um-good-and-bad

Without multiple u/m, you enter the qty actually receive, a case of 2500 would be entered as 2500 each and not one case.

GeorgeIoak
Level 3

@Rustler @HoneyLynn_G 

Thanks for your inputs.

So I guess what I'm looking for isn't built-in to QB and I'll have to look at 3rd party solutions. I do have multiple unit of measure enabled so there's no turning back on that now without adding much more confusion.

My goal was to be able to define a different U/M for an item and have a separate default cost saved for each U/M for that item. I may receive a quote at the beginning of the year and then throughout the year make purchases. It would be convenient if I didn't have to refer to an old PO or dig up the quote just see what the different price levels are.

I initially just created a different item name when I purchased by the case but since I build assemblies I think this will mess up the inventory levels as I must choose an item to add to the assembly. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can create an inventory part that says it's just a bunch of another parts. So if I purchase a case (which has 2,500pcs) and then a box (50pcs) QB won't combine those and say that I have 2,550 units.

I also have a related issue. I buy a 500ft spool of wire. I may then use that in an assembly but use only 4in. I have U/M set for spool-500 and then a related U/M for feet. That's all well and good. The problem I have is that if I want to use inches as my base you then HAVE to enter the cost of the base unit even though you must purchase the whole spool. You may say so what, just calculate the cost.

A spool of 500ft of wire costs $32.485

That makes the cost per foot equal to $0.0650

Then you must calculate the cost per inch (32.485/500/12) = $0.005414

The problem is that QB doesn't store that many decimal places, I think only 4 so your cost changes if you drop the last 2 decimal places. $0.0054 * 500 * 12 = $32.40 but the cost is really $32.485. Right now I just use feet as the base unit but then in your assemblies you have to enter 4/12 for how much you are going to use.

So this is another case (pun intended) where assigning costs for each U/M makes perfect sense. I do electronics assembly and many components I purchase are on reels containing 10,000 pieces. In the old QB days it wouldn't even let you use that large of a U/M. The cost of these reels are less than $10 so your per unit cost is extremely low.

I guess my bottom line is if there's going to be a version specifically for Manufacturing then it should be able to handle situations like I describe. I honestly don't think what I'm trying to is outside the box.

I apologize if I'm still missing something but from what I'm learning I don't think I can do what I want.

Rustler
Level 15

If you set up u/m as the base unit is each, then relate 50 each to a box, and 2500 to a case - you can buy and sell by the each, the box, or the case. Assuming those u/m definitions are for the same item.

Your wire item need the base unit set to inch, that is the lowest u/m you will use, then a spool is x=number of inches, you use/sell a qty of 4 to use/sell 4 inches

True QB only carries average cost to 5 decimal places, but only posts dollars and cents - nothing you can do to change that it is a limitation of QB.

BadBrad
Level 1

this effects the selling pricing of inventory assemblies and is an issue that needs to be resolved.   QB needs to do is when setting up "Inventory Assemblies" for QB to take the pricing i have already entered into QB for the individual parts that are in the assembly and use the "selling price" of each item instead of cost for the Retail Sales Price for this Assembly.    For Manufacturing using cost is the total wrong way to figure the selling price, .  for Example:  i build a IA using 30 different Widgets,  but my cost margins are not the same on these widgets. 

I am building the assembly is using many of different parts with different cost values.  and when i enter all my parts into inventory i set the retail selling price for each part.    and the retail price is what IA should be using.   the same as QB building a group this uses my preset retail pricing, perfect.  but inventory assembly does not why?  makes IA useless 

bbacchus65
Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up Enterprise for a manufacturing company, they manufacture concrete coatings. I am trying to setup a specific price rule for customer type, for example, Contractors receive a different price from Distributors. In addition I also need to setup up bulk pricing for purchases over 50 gals for the same customer type. Keep in mind both of these customer type prices are lower than the base price of the items.

I first created a price rule for Contractor and added special prices using price overrides. I then tried to add another rule on the Contractor price rule using the item that I setup with bulk pricing, but it doesn't seem to work.  Any idea please?

LeizylM
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for posting here on the Community page, bbacchus65

I'll share some clarification on how setting different pricing for different customers will work with Quickbooks Desktop Enterprise.

This works when using price rules which allows you to create a more precise condition on when the price of an item changes when you sell it to different customers. With this, you can use the Advanced Pricing feature so QuickBooks automatically changes the prices of items on sales forms according to the rules you create.

Here's how to enable this feature:

1. Select Preferences from the QuickBooks Edit menu.
  2. Click Sales & Customers from the left pane, then click the Company Preferences tab.
  3. Select Enable Advanced Pricing from the Custom Pricing section.
  4. Choose how you want to handle price rounding.
  5. Click OK.

Moreover, let me also attach this link to help you manage price rules in QuickBooks: Use Advanced Pricing.

If you have anything else I can help you with regarding pricing in QBDT, please don't hesitate to post them here. I'll be glad to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us