cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

QB closes every time I try to enter a payment from this customer.

A few days ago I encountered a problem; whenever I try to enter a payment to this customer or try to  open this customer's payment information, QB shuts down. I ran the verify and rebuild, but it gave me Error 310 with 34  decryption errors related to credit card information. However, this particular customer shows as paying by cheque, not credit card. The program does not allow me to go in and enter a dummy credit card number for this account as it shuts down whenever I try.

I even tried removing the credit card protection and then trying to fix the problem, but I run into the same issue.

The other problem I have is that the error report lists 34 customers whose credit card encryption files need to be corrected, but the report lists them as Customer ID: 34, or Customer ID: 256, etc. I do not use numbers for our customers, but use the customer names. How do I correlate the list of customer ID numbers with my list of customers?

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: QB closes every time I try to enter a payment from this customer.

Hello there, @Princely1.

Let me help isolate the errors displayed in the QBWin.log when the Verify Data utility fails so you can enter payment for a customer and to resolve your customer report list. 

First, I appreciate the steps you've performed by checking the data damaged using the Verify Data utility. What you need to do next is look for the error message in QBWin.log to see what is affected. 

Please follow these steps below: 

1. Find the QBWin.log and save it to any location you can easily access like your Desktop.
  2. Right-click the QBWin.log file. Select Open with, then choose Notepad.
  3. Note the Customer names and IDs that appears in the QBWin.log.

Right after, let's edit the credit card number of affected customer to removes the damaged data. Here's how:

1. From the Customers menu, select Customer Center.
  2. Select the small arrow ▼icon above the search bar, then choose All Customers.
  3. Find the name of the Customers or Jobs you took note of.
  4. Double-click the Customer or Job to edit, then go to the Payment Settings tab.
  5. Enter a 16-digit dummy credit card number and expiration date, then select Ok.
  6. Go to the Payments Settings tab again.
  7. Enter the correct credit card number and expiration date, then select Ok.

If a lot of customers are affected, you can check Use advanced import to override damaged credit card info. This way you can do it efficiently.

Once done, let's run the verify data utility again to check if the data has no longer any errors. 

You may also check this article for the detailed troubleshooting steps: Error: QBwin.log: LVL_SEVERE_ERROR--GetDecryptedCreditCardNumber The decryption has failed.

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a remote session. 

Here's how to contact our technical support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel. 
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

Please let me know how it goes. I'll be around to help if you have any other questions. Have a good one.