cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrjan
Level 4

QBO Industry type Nonprofit (non-profit) missing

I am setting up QBO for a Nonprofit. I can select the 990 tax form type but there is no selection of Nonprofit or Non-Profit in the Industry Type field.  Several QB articles mention this choice so I assume it has been removed. Can anyone advise?  Thanks

16 Comments 16
KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Mrjan.

Thanks for dropping by the Community. I'm here to share some information about selecting Non-Profit as your Industry type in QuickBooks Online.

Configure your account by selecting a Nonprofit Organization (Form 990) as your Tax form from the Account and Settings. On the Industry type field, you have to manually enter Non-profit.

Make sure to sign out and sign back into QuickBooks Online to see the changes reflected throughout QuickBooks. Once you do, your account should use terms commonly used by non-profit organizations. 

Here's an article for your reference: Configure an account for a non-profit organization.

That should do it. Please let me know if you have any questions by leaving a comment below. Thanks for reaching out and have a good one!

Mrjan
Level 4

Thank you for your help but QBO will not accept the value Non-Profit, Nonprofit, or Non profit in that field.  Looks like it may have been deleted as I have seen posts similar to yours elsewhere. I was able to select the 990 for the tax form field just above it. 

Any thoughts?

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, @Mrjan.

Allow me to chime in for a moment and provide some information about entering Non-Profit as the industry type in QuickBooks Online.

Currently, adding or entering another business type in the Industry section is not an option. You can either leave it as blank or select the trade that matches your organization.

Like you, a lot of users would want to have the ability to add another business type in the Industry section. You can add to their voices and submit a suggestion to our product engineers.

You can send feedback by clicking on the Gear icon and selecting Feedback. I will also forward this request on your behalf to our Development Team, so that this may be considered for future updates.

We have tutorials on our website which can help with further understanding about the product’s features and ways that it can benefit your business: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/.

If you have any additional questions about QBO, leave me a comment or mention my name. I’m always here to help. Have a good one.

NatBorg
Level 1

I had to download QB to a new computer and entered our license.  It presented me with several industry options (Retail, Business, etc.) but "Quickbooks Non Profit" was grayed out! I accepted a different version and tried the "change my industry" option - and "Quickbooks Non Profit" was there, but still grayed out. Do I have to give up?  Thanks for your help. 

Kristine Mae

Giving up is not an option, NatBorg.

I'll help you set up QuickBooks as Non-profit. We'll fix the software by repairing it. Repair can solve program-related issues. Before doing the process, create a backup copy of your file so we'll have duplicate data if ever we encounter any snags.

Here's how to repair:

1. Close QuickBooks.
  2. Click the Start or Windows menu, then choose Control Panel.
  3. Choose Programs and Features.
  4. Click QuickBooks, then choose Uninstall/Change.
  5. Click Continue, then Next.
  6. Choose Repair, then Next.
  7. Click Finish, then restart your computer if prompted. 

You can always leave a comment if you need more help from us. 

Mrjan
Level 4

Thanks for the suggestion but isn't that the solution for the desktop version?

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @Mrjan.

Yes, the solution provided is for the desktop version. And allow me to add some insights into the Industry section in QB Online.

I can see how it would be useful to have the ability to add another business type in the Industry section. But as discussed by my colleague, we don't have that option to enter another business type. However, you can specifically select which kind of business type you'll enter.

In the meantime, I've got an article for you that offers some pointers about non-profit organization: Configure an Account for a Non-profit Organization.

Fill me in if you have further questions. I'll be around if you need any help.

Mrjan
Level 4

I understand the restrictions.  I see a lot of QBO installations for nonprofits with my pro-bono work and some have a chart of accounts similar to what you get when you select "nonprofit" type when setting up QB desktop.  I have to believe there is something I am missing in the QBO setup that drives the COA you are given.  I just can't find it and I assumed it was in the industry type.  

Thanks

JonpriL

Thank you for the quick response, @Mrjan!

The same mentioned by my colleagues above, a "non-profit" industry type isn't available in QBO anymore.

In addition, there's only one industry type per business account. Thus, you can only select one type among the list of industries.

With this, you have the option to select which industry is the closest to your business.

Here's a screenshot below for your visual reference.

Let me know if you need anything else, I’ll be more than happy to help. Thanks for dropping by, I’ll keep an eye out for your response.

NatBorg
Level 1

Repair repair repair - it works!  Thanks! 

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, NatBorg.

I appreciate you for sharing the details on how you resolved this issue by repairing the company file in QuickBooks Desktop. This will helps other users who encounter the same problem. Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other issues about your QuickBooks. The Community team will always here to help. 

Wishing you and your business continued success. 

mpta
Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I am trying to set up a nonprofit pta (parent teacher association).  I do not see the correct industry type.  Which industry should I select for QBO?  This is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be glad to help, @mpta.

When choosing a Nonprofit organization in QBO, you can select an Industry type that is closely related to the association you have. 

industry.PNG

Also, you may need to change income and expenses to revenue and expenditures. To make the necessary changes, you can refer to this article: Configure an account for a non-profit organization.

In setting up your 501(c)(3), you can check this article guide for the detailed steps you'll need to perform to exempt you from Federal Unemployment (FUTA): Setup Payroll as 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization or Church.

I'd like to include this helpful blog as well for some tips and why QuickBooks Online could be the right solution for this organization: How Nonprofit Organizations Use QuickBooks Online.

This should help set you on the right track. If you have other questions about setting up Nonprofit, do let me know. I'm here to help.

LMB77
Level 2

I had the same issue, Im setting up QBO plus for a non profit and couldn't find the non profit option as most threads on the forum advise including quickbooks. 

the closest I could find was -  Religious, Grant making, Civic, Professional, and Similar Organizations - - although this particular non profit  is not religious - its set up for  providing free medical and humanitarian aid relief in Haiti.  should I have chosen something else ?

I have chosen the  non profit tax form '990 

Rea_M

I'm here to share details about choosing the industry type for a nonprofit organization in QuickBooks Online (QBO), @LMB77. This way, you'll be able to select the best one that describes your organization and keep your account accurate. 

In QBO, you'll have to select the closest industry that relates to your organization. You've made the right choice in selecting the Religious, Grantmaking, Civic, Professional, and Similar Organization industry. It is closely related to your association which provides free medical and humanitarian aid relief in Haiti,

To further guide you in choosing your industry, I'd also recommend consulting your accountant. They can provide other options and make sure your books are correct.

In case you'd like to make sure your account uses terms, reports, and forms intended for a nonprofit organization, you can refer to this article to guide you in the configuration process: Configure an account for a nonprofit organization. It also contains steps in changing your customers to donors.

I'm also adding this blog to further guide you in effectively managing your nonprofit account using QuickBooks: How Nonprofit Organizations Use QuickBooks Online. It explains how the system the solution for your type of organization.

Please let me know if you have other concerns. I'm just around to help. Take care always.

CHMM
Level 2

Thank you so much for confirming my choice and providing such detailed explanation - much appreciated. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us