cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

QuickBooks Online Discontinuation of Support for Internet Explorer 11 and versions of Safari v10 and below

An important change is coming to the browsers you use to sign in to QuickBooks Online.

As technology improves, we want to make sure you get the best experience in QuickBooks Online. Therefore, as of March 18th, 2019, we are discontinuing support for Internet Explorer v11 and versions of Safari v10 and below.  Visit system requirements for QuickBooks Online for browsers currently supported.

Frequently asked questions

What does this mean for me?

If you upgrade to the latest version of your browser, you’ll continue to get the best service possible and keep up with trends in technology.

When will Support be discontinued?

As of March 18th, 2019 Intuit will no longer support Internet Explorer v11 and versions of Safari v10 and older.

Why are we discontinuing support for these browsers?

Internet Explorer v11 and versions of Safari v10 and older are not using the latest technology. As we continue to increase the number of online applications available to customers, we want to ensure we are using the latest and greatest technology. This creates more opportunity for developers and a better experience for our customers.

What will happen if I continue to use an unsupported browser?

You’ll see a message that lets you know you are using an unsupported browser. You may also run into parts of the product that do not work as expected.

Which versions of QuickBooks  are affected by this change?

QuickBooks Online (all versions)

QuickBooks Online Advanced

QuickBooks Online Payroll

QuickBooks Online Accountant

QuickBooks Online Payments

27 Comments

Re: QuickBooks Online Discontinuation of Support for Internet Explorer 11 and versions of Safari v10 and below

Hello, I have an older Mac OS X 10.10.5 with Safari OS X 10.1.2  It would appear that I need to make some changes. Since I cannot afford another computer and my Mac OS X cannot be upgraded, is it possible for me to start accessing Quickbooks on a different browser? Is so, how do I make this switch and will there be any issues with the older Mac OS X?  Thank you.

Sheila Branscombe

QuickBooks Team

Re: QuickBooks Online Discontinuation of Support for Internet Explorer 11 and versions of Safari ...

You can use a different browser when accessing QuickBooks Online, Dunamisventures.

You can use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. To use Google Chrome on Mac, you'll need the OS X Yosemite 10.10 later. This means, you won't be getting any issues with your older Mac OS X. 

You can always check this for future reference: System Requirements for QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Feel free to post anytime if you have other concerns. Have a nice day! 

Re: QuickBooks Online Discontinuation of Support for Internet Explorer 11 and versions of Safari v10 and below

I'm running Sierra which is newer than Yosemite and you're telling me I'll need to update my browser. I don't understand.

ProAdvisor

As technology improves as you said, will we also have the best experience of using the latest browsers to export data from QBO to QBDT? Currently, it requires Internet Explorer 11 (32-Bit) or earlier.

QBO_QBDT.PNG

QBO_QBDT2.PNG

Re: QuickBooks Online Discontinuation of Support for Internet Explorer 11 and versions of Safari ...

Great as I have Yosemite. I do not have the space to download Sierra. I have tried opening my QB on Chrome and it appears to work fine. Thanks so much.

Will firefox be affected?

QuickBooks Team

Mozilla Firefox is one of our supported browsers, Karen02.

It will not be affected. This browser always keeps itself updated.

Please check out this article for your reference: System Requirements for QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Just hit the Reply button if you have other questions.

Which browser are we to open up quickbooks with the change

Experienced Member

why is it that when Microsoft changes things nobody complains. as long as Microsoft is using IE we should be able to use any program. this just shows us (people in the community) that obsolescence is built into everything from software to cars. 

Frequent Explorer *

Just another way for quickbooks online to continue to control my system.  I absolutely hate this quickbooks online program.  I have been using QBs since 1992 with no problem.

So, for now, in order to export, you must use IE 11 - how stupid is that.

There is a glitch in this system.  My calculations go from being correct to over $100,000 off in calculations and that was before March 18, 2019.

I will either quit this job or go back to using QB desktop.

QuickBooks Team

This isn't the kind of service we want you to experience, @sharon12,

Allow me to share some insights about migrating from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online.

There are some limitations when migrating from QuickBooks Desktop that causes the discrepancy of your calculations. One of them is the list of features that are not specifically converted.

You can read these articles for more detailed information about the limitations:

Also, to fix the discrepancy, you can compare the Balance Sheet and Profit-and-Loss report to check the missing transaction and manually enter them.

Please keep in touch with us here in the Community should you need any further assistance with QuickBooks Online.

where can I get the upgrade

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, nigelmalin.

To upgrade to the latest version of your browser, you can visit your browser’s download center online. You can also get in touch with their support team over the phone for further instructions. 

Please visit us here again if you have other concerns with QuickBooks. 

Quickbook check printing requires Adobe Reader for the checks to line up. Google Chrome does not support the Netscape software underlying Adobe Reader. QuickBooks can't align checks correctly in Google Chrome. Therefor QuickBooks recommends Internet Explorer for check writing. But now you say I cannot use this either.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @ekoritzGMA.

Thanks for taking the time to post here in the Community. Allow me to help share some information about check alignment and get you back on track. 

If you have a supported version of Internet Explorer, you should be able to align your checks. To single this issue out, you can try clearing your browser's cache. This is a good way to get a clean slate for your browser. 

However, if the issue persists after clearing the browser's cache, you may try performing the steps found in these articles: 

If the same thing happens after trying these steps, I'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Care Team. They have the necessary tools that can help isolate this issue. 

By following these steps, you should be able to align your checks in QuickBooks Online.

Please let me know if you have any other questions with check alignment. I'd be pleased to help. Wishing you all the best!

For an accounting software vendor to discontinue support of ANYTHING in the first quarter of the year and just weeks before the major tax deadlines of the year is not supportive of the user community.  The middle of summer would have been more appropriate timing.

Some advance notice would have been helpful.  Very unprofessional to cut off customers with no warning.

Experienced Member

I don't know how to update my safari. There is no update offered?

QuickBooks Team

Allow me to chime in, ashearm22.

Thank you joining us in this thread. Let me share a few details about the browser discontinuation.

The Internet Explorer 11 and Safari 10 browsers are the last and final version released by Microsoft and Apple Inc. I know communication is important to disseminate updates about this, however, we are dependent on what these companies share with us.

You may consider using other browsers. As a reference, you can also check out this article: Discontinuing support for Internet Explorer and old Safari versions.

This should point you in the right direction. I appreciate your time visiting the QuickBooks Community. I'd be delighted to work with you again if you have any other concerns in the future. Wishing you the best.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, tjpugliese.

Let me help you with updating your Safari browser.

To update your Safari browser, you can go to this link: https://support.apple.com/downloads/safari. Just click on the Download link in the Safari: Get the Latest Version section. Then, follow the onscreen instructions from there. 

If you need further assistance with updating the browser, I suggest reaching out their Technical Support Team. They will be able to help you further with downloading the latest Safari version.

That should do it. Please let me know if you have further questions. I'm always here to help.

Would this be the reason I have had not intuit deposits into my bank account since the 18th of March?

QuickBooks Team

Hi LauraMarsh,

If you mean your Merchant transactions (deposits), I'd recommend contacting our Merchant support to trace them.

If you mean your bank transactions, this could be one of the reasons. I suggest you use other browsers to let you download the missing ones since March 18. You can do it by clicking the Update button on the Banking page.

Another reason could be a maintenance update in your bank which could have affected their online banking services. If this is the case, you can download your transactions in a Web Connect file and upload them to QuickBooks.

Please stay in touch if you need more help.

I find this extremely disappointing and almost slanted of Intuit, whom I am a regular user of both QuickBooks Online and Intuit Online Payroll for Accountants and considering dropping my other accounting software to promote more usage of QuickBooks Online as a wholesale accountant.  Everything I have is setup through Internet Explorer, it also offers printing options for paychecks on the Intuit Payroll Online product that Google Chrome does not, such as printing checks in reversed order, which is a HUGE deal when you run payroll for a company with over 30 employees each and have to take time to reverse the printed shells of checks simply because Chrome couldn't think far enough ahead to provide this simple printing option.  How sad for Intuit that they went for popular instead of broad-based users with various needs.  I find myself disappointed.  Obviously I can't stop using the products as many of my clients are set-up on them and my payroll business has been established on Intuit Online Payroll for over 9 years, but you've doubled your pricing in the past year, putting the small business person at a ridiculous operating margin and now you are dictating browsers which don't meet all users needs?  Does Intuit still really want to be the product of choice in the marketplace?

Established Member

how to update