cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

QuickBooks Pro 2019 Desktop Pro Upgrade - employee info did not convert

I just upgraded from 2016 to 2019.  (Both Desktop Pro)

Most of my Employee information is missing.  Paycheck history is intact, but all employee details from most employee records has been wiped clean.

Any obvious fixes?

8 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: QuickBooks Pro 2019 Desktop Pro Upgrade - employee info did not convert

Hello there, @RSActg.

You may need to verify and rebuild the data in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) to bring back the employee information. Verifying and rebuilding data in QBDT self-identifies and self-resolves the most commonly know data issues. I'm here to help guide you how.

To verify the data:

1. Go to the File menu.
  2. Select Utilities.
  3. Click on Verify Data.

To rebuild the data:

1. Click on the File menu.
  2. Select Utilities.
  3. Select Rebuild data.

For additional reference, you may check this article: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please know that I'm always here to help you if you have any other QuickBooks questions. Have a great day ahead!

Experienced Member

I went through the whole process, and did the Verify, and then Rebuild.  Still no Employee data!  Should I open the backup copy made before I upgraded, and start from scratch?  What do you suggest as a next step?

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, RSActg.

Thanks for keeping us updated and for giving the steps above a try. Let me share additional steps on how we can resolve this issue with converting employee information.

Since the previous steps didn't work, let's repair your QuickBooks Desktop. This troubleshooting is mostly recommended to resolve common issues like this.

Before doing the troubleshooting steps, make sure to create a backup copy of your company file for future purposes. Now, we can run repair your QuickBooks Desktop.

Here's how to do it:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.
  2. Select Programs and Features. If necessary select Uninstall a program.
  3. If you don't see these options, select Programs and choose Program Features.
  4. Select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change.
  5. In the QuickBooks Installation window, click on Next and select the Repair radio button.
  6. Click Next and select Repair.
  7. Click Finish and restart your computer if prompted.

I've got you an article to know more about repairing QuickBooks: Fix QuickBooks Desktop.

Let me know how these steps works for you. Feel free to leave comment below if you have other questions I’m always here to help.

Experienced Member

Experienced Member

It finally worked.  I had to go back and restore from the backup I made before the upgrade.  Once I upgraded, I ran the Verify and Rebuild utilities again, and everything seems to be in place.  However, I lost about a half day's work, not including the time I spent problem solving and starting from scratch.  Very frustrating!  But hopefully I am on my way now...

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @RSActg.

It's good to hear that your QuickBooks is now up and running. I'd just wanted to add more information about what is the best thing to do before making an upgrade in QuickBooks to prevent this issue from happening again. 

Before making any changes/upgrade in QuickBooks, it's recommended to create a backup copy of your company file so you can immediately restore it in case of data loss. 

Also, if you encounter unexpected issues in QuickBooks it's best to perform these steps below to help fix data, file, and program-related issues:

If you need additional assistance with QuickBooks, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care Team. They have necessary tools like screen sharing that can help walk you through in fixing any QuickBooks Issues.

That should do it!

Of course, you got me here in the Community if you have any other questions with QuickBooks. I'm always ready to lend a helping hand. Wishing you and your business continued success. 

Experienced Member

"immediately restore it in case of data loss"

The problem is that I didn't discover the data loss until I was several hours in to other data entry.

I think it would be nice if QuickBooks automatically ran the Verify function before announcing that the file is ready to use.

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @RSActg,

Thanks for your time getting in touch with us today. I can share some insights about upgrading your QuickBooks version.

Typically,  if both the old and new versions are installed on the same computer, your data will automatically be updated to the most recent file. However, there are a few reasons why there are missing transactions or information that are not carried over. Here are some:

• There is an internet interruption during the conversion.
  • Damaged or corrupted installation files.
  • The computer did not meet the minimum system requirements.

At the moment QuickBooks is unable to detect missing data after a QuickBooks upgrade. That is why during the upgrade process you are required to create a backup copy for your data's security.

Here's a great article you can check to know more about upgrading your company file: Upgrade to a New QuickBooks Desktop Version

That should get you on the right track, @RSActg. Please update me if you have any more questions about your file conversion. I'm here to help. Have a good one!