cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Quickbooks Desktop - Receive Payments

Question about receive payments. I have a customer who when paying our invoice, deducts the cost of material from the payment. What is the best way to record this? Should I be using Discounts?

TIA

4 Comments
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks Desktop - Receive Payments

Hello pikk67,

Thank you for dropping by here in the Community. I'm here to assist you with your question about receiving payments in QuickBooks Desktop.

If the customer needs to deduct the cost of materials on the payment, you should correct the invoice before handing them so that the amounts are correct upon the receiving process. You can edit the transaction through the Customer Center section within QuickBooks.

Here's how:

1. Click the Customers tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Customer Center.
  3. Go to the Transactions tab.

For your visual reference, I'm adding a screenshot on this:

If what you're referring to is billing the customer for the cost of materials, you can use Job Costing in QuickBooks Desktop. For more insights, I'm adding the article I recommend on this:

Tracking job costs in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please reach out to me here should you need any further assistance regarding creating the payments. Any additional information or screenshots you can provide will help to ensure a timely solution.

Experienced Member

Thank you for your reply. My problem with this method is, I don't know what the amount is until I receive payment from the customer. My thinking was, to adjust the amount while I enter it in to received payments. I wanted to add it to the material costs somehow. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Experienced Member

Hi. Thank you for the reply. I don't really know what the amount of the material was until I receive the payment. I would like to be able to deduct it while I'm receiving the payment through QB's and show it as an expense for material. My other option I suppose, is to modify the invoice after payment but if I've file my HST, I don't want to do that.

Thanks again!

P

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for the detailed information, P. 

Before you'll modify the invoice, I suggest reaching out to your accountant. He/She will walk you through on how to change it and will give you further instructions on what account to use for these items. 

I'll be around to help you if you need more help!