cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Explorer **

Quickbooks Mac 2016 crashes constantly in Mac OS Sierra

Good morning, I have been experiencing quite a few peculiar behaviors with desktop Mac 2019.

1. The dropdown customer/jobs lists (almost all of them, but not all) have re-ordered themselves out of alphabetical order. It is random. This is VERY annoying!

2. The window I am working in will suddenly resize much smaller and move itself to the bottom right of the screen, partially on and partially off the screen. It seems to happen a lot in invoices when I hit the tab button move to another field. This is VERY frustrating!

3. Today I am creating invoices. For years I have entered time in weekly timesheets. I put a detailed note in the description field. WhenI click on the clock icon in invoices to add the time to the invoice and I check the item and click OK, it has always added the description to the invoice description field. Today it has stopped. IT has also stopped populating the description field in the Choose Billable Time and Costs window where I check the item be billed. As I said, this is new today. This is time consuming as I have to go back to the timesheet and copy the description for each invoice.

4. Randomly dropdown lists will become unclickable and visually garbled and I have to tab through to the box and hope it drops down. On some occasions this invoke the small window moved to the bottom right effect.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this something others have experienced? It is very frustrating to use an application that has randomly variable actions that make it hard to use. Productivity through guessing is not my idea of a good way to work.

Does anyone know of a number I can call to discuss these weird occurrences?

Best, Scott

3 Comments
Frequent Explorer **

Re: Quickbooks Mac 2016 crashes constantly in Mac OS Sierra

Hello again, 

First, the title above is not what I put in. I said the desktop UI is causing many strange behaviors.

Second, another strange behavior that is counter to the preferences settings. The enter key in Timesheets CLOSES the timesheets. I have the checkbox checked for enter key moves to new field.

Thanks, Scott

QuickBooks Team

Hello Scott5702,

Thank you for sharing detailed information about what's going on with your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. It would be my pleasure to help you get to the bottom of this strange behavior.

Based on the information you've shared above, there's a possibility you have damaged company file. You can perform some basic troubleshooting to fix these issues.

Please run the Verify and Rebuild Data feature to suspect any data issues happening with your company file. After doing so, we'll proceed with re-sorting the lists to get your records back in order.

Here's how to run Verify and Rebuild Data:

1. Click the File menu at the top.
  2. Select Utilities.
  3. Select Verify Data.
  4. After verifying data, click the File menu again.
  5. Select Utilities.
  6. Select Rebuild Data.

For re-sorting lists, you can follow the detailed steps in the article I'm adding below (scroll down to Additional data damage troubleshooting for Mac):

Resolve data damage on your company file.

Feel free to perform the remaining troubleshooting from the article if necessary. I'm looking forward to your response regarding the troubleshooting results. Take care.

Highlighted
Established Community Backer *

In addition to potential data damage (which is addressed by Rebuild) it may be that you have some third party utility installed that is causing these problems.  Check your Apple->System Preferences on the bottom row - are there any utilities installed there?  You may need to disable them.

Another way to check this is to reboot your machine holding down the shift key as it relaunches.

Finally you may have a computer virus.