cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super Explorer *

Quickbooks Upgrade and Subscription

We currently have QB Desktop Pro Plus 2016 and need to upgrade to the 2019. A few questions:

1. Do I have to purchase the payroll software separately?

2. I know the price for the 2019 version, but is there still a yearly 'subscription' charge? What does that cover, exactly?

3. My annual subscription for the current 2019 is due in a few days; does it only cover 2016, or if I pay it will it cover the upgrade?

4. When I process the purchase, does it have to be downloaded immediately or will we get a link so we can access and download at a more convenient time?

This is my first time overseeing an upgrade, so want to make sure I know all the answers. 

Thanks!!

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks Upgrade and Subscription

I'm glad you're planning to upgrade, MonicaG!

I'll provide the information you need for this process and for your payroll as well.

The answer to your first question is yes. QuickBooks and Payroll are paid separately. You QuickBooks Pro Plus is billed annually, and you will receive an email confirming the renewal. Along with it is the license number and product code, and the link to download QuickBooks 2019 installer. 

On the other hand, the Payroll service is paid annually and it's an add-on service to QuickBooks Desktop. It needs to have a supported version of it, so you can download the updated tax tables, pay your employee through direct deposit, and pay and file your taxes electronically. It's perfect because you'll have QuickBooks 2019, which means you will be able to continue using your payroll online services.

Here are the things that you will want to do:

1. Create a back up copy of your company files because you will transfer them to QuickBooks Desktop 2019.
  2. Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop 2016 since you're not allowed to have two versions of QuickBooks on one computer.
  3. Install QuickBooks 2019 and register it using the numbers from confirmation email.
  4. Restore your backup company files in QuickBooks 2019.
  5. Update your payroll and do payroll things like the usual.

Here's an article with steps to guide you through things I mentioned above: Upgrade to a new QuickBooks Desktop version.

Feel free to go back to this thread if you have more questions. The team is here to help you move forward.

Highlighted
Super Explorer *

Thank you for that info. I have another question... is the email which is sent that contains the product and license information time sensitive? Or is the information contained in the email available for us to use whenever we are ready to do the download? 

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @MonicaG.

Allow me to step in and provide additional information about the license number and product code.

You can use the license number and product code whenever you're ready to download the QuickBooks 2019 installer. This means that the license and product information will not be expired.

However, if the license and product numbers are not working, you can visit the CAMPS website to review the license and product information of your QuickBooks product. You can access the website by following the steps outlined in the article below (scroll-down to Find your license, product number, software status, and user licenses):

Use the Customer Account Management Portal Site (CAMPS).

If it does the same thing, I’d suggest contacting our Customer Care Team. They can check your account and help you activate the software.

Here's how you can reach them:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. In the Have a Question window, click Contact us at the bottom portion of the screen.
  4. Click Search for something else.
  5. Type in a keyword about your concern.
  6. Hit Search.
  7. Click on Start a Message.

That's it! Please let us know if you have any other questions with QuickBooks Desktop. We're always here to help.

Super Explorer *

Thank you!

@MonicaG wrote:

Thank you for that info. I have another question... is the email which is sent that contains the product and license information time sensitive? Or is the information contained in the email available for us to use whenever we are ready to do the download?