cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Explorer **

Quickbooks classes and subclasses

I must be missing something because classes and subclasses don't seem to work like I thought they would. I expected QB reporting to be able to rollup the subclass totals when reporting at the class level, but it seems to treat classes and subclasses as totally separate classifications, i.e. when I ask for a report by class, it only includes the amounts for entries that were at the class level only and not the subclass levels defined under it. If that is the case, I'm not sure what benefit subclasses provide. Insight requested and appreciated. 

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks classes and subclasses

Greetings, @tinaward.

Allow me to provide with some information on how you can include classes and sub-classes in generating your reports.

With QuickBooks Desktop, you have the ability to customize and filter your reports by class and sub-class.

Here's  how to view your PL report by sub-class:

1. Click Reports.
  2. Choose Company and Financial.
  3. Select he Profit & Loss by Class report.
  4. Click the green arrow to run report.
  5. Choose Customize Report.
  6. Go to the Filters tab.
    1. From the Filter list, select Class.
    2. Choose Multiple Classes.
    3. Put a check mark on the Subclasses you want in the report. 
      • Example: 1C, 2C, and 3C.
    4. Hit Ok.
  7. Click Refresh

That should do it! Please don't hesitate to click the Reply button if you have other questions about customizing your reports in QuickBooks Desktop. I'm always here to help.

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

Unfortunately there isn't a way to roll up classes to the parent class on reports.

Allow me. As long as you are not trying to filter for specific classes, where picking just the parent excludes the subs, you can and will see all classes of all levels in a P&L by Class. Every subclass across in columns followed by its parent and a separate total column for that group. I know because I have over 100 sub classes of probably a dozen top level classes. The key is....don't filter....until after you export to excel.

@tinaward wrote:

I must be missing something because classes and subclasses don't seem to work like I thought they would. I expected QB reporting to be able to rollup the subclass totals when reporting at the class level, but it seems to treat classes and subclasses as totally separate classifications, i.e. when I ask for a report by class, it only includes the amounts for entries that were at the class level only and not the subclass levels defined under it. If that is the case, I'm not sure what benefit subclasses provide. Insight requested and appreciated. 

in desktop, go to the lists menu>class list, highlight the parent and use the report button for a quick report

all sub classes of that parent will report, with totals

In QB when you have a parent, item, account, class, you do not post to it, only post to the subs

Community Explorer **

how do you make a balance adjustment to your subclass?  Move funds from one subclass to another.

Highlighted
Community Contributor *

Following...

I recently realized that in attempting to create adjusting journal entries (ie reallocate expenses from one class to another, transfer funds, etc), this creates unbalanced classes on the balance sheet. Transactions created as forms (ie check, bill, bill payment etc) do not create this issue, only journal entries with multiple classes.

Hello there, SB4207.

Good to see you both in the Community. Allow me to help share some insight about moving funds from one subclass to another.

You can transfer the balance of one subclass to another by updating the transaction to change the class used. You can use the Transaction Detail report to find and edit the transactions easily. Let me show you how: 

1. From the Reports menu, select Custom Reports.
  2. Choose Transaction Detail.
  3. Select the correct Date.
  4. Click OK or Refresh.
  5. Double-click the transaction. 
  6. In the CLASS column, click the drop-down and select the correct subclass.  
  7. Click Save & Close.

Capture1.PNG

I've attached a blog about class for additional reference: Use Class Tracking in QuickBooks.

These steps should correct the balance per class in your QuickBooks.

Please keep in touch if you have any other questions about classes, or about QuickBooks. I'm here to lend a hand. Have a great day ahead.