cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Quickbooks crashes when attaching files or overwriting a pdf file to desktop

I am using quickbooks 2016 premier mfg edition.  QB regularly crashes when attaching a pdf or other file to sales orders or inventory items.  It also crashed regularly when printing a file to pdf.  I originally installed the software on a new PC in 2016.  I purchased another new state of the art $2,000 computer in October thinking it was the old computer causing the crashes, however it is still happening on the new one.  Software updates have been completed and the issue will not go away.  When will this issue be fixed???

4 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks crashes when attaching files or overwriting a pdf file to desktop

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Community page, @sutton001.

I'm here to help open QuickBooks without any glitch and interruption.

QuickBooks crashes  due to the following reasons:

• Company name is too long.
  • Damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file.
  • Corruption on your hard drive.
  • Damaged program files or QuickBooks Desktop installation.
  • Damaged Windows operating system.

You may need to run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool) to help us resolve the issue. This will help identify any component issues related to your QuickBooks Desktop.

1. Download the QuickBooks Install DiagnosticTool.
  2. When prompted, save the file to the local Desktop.
  3. Close any open programs and run the QBInstall Tool. It may take up to 20mins to complete, depending on your internet speed and computer's performance.
  4. Restart the computer after running the tool to ensure the components are properly updated.

If the problem continues, you may check this article for the additional steps on how to fix the issue: QuickBooks Desktop won't open, has stopped working, or not responding.

Let me know how it goes by adding a comment below. We're always here to help. Have a good one!

Experienced Member

Re: Quickbooks crashes when attaching files or overwriting a pdf file to desktop

Thanks for the reply Angelyn.  Regarding the steps in the article, all of those steps were taken by several of your techs who remoted into the old Hewlitt Packard (brand new) computer.  None of the steps worked including downloading the software directly from your website for a fresh install.  This is happening again on our new Lenovo (brand new) computer.  What other steps can be undertaken to solve this issue?  We have a 24G ram, I-7 quad core processor that was over built to handle AutoDesk Inventor.  QB should not be having these issues again on a second (new) computer.

QuickBooks Team

Hi, sutton001.

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm here to guide you to the right support so you can get the help you need. 

I appreciate you for taking the time to follow all the troubleshooting steps provided by my colleague @Angelyn_T. Since the issue still persists, I encourage you to get in touch back with our QuicBooks Desktop Support Team. They will be able to create a new investigation for this issue and once it has been open, you’ll be receiving an email notification about the updates and progress of the investigation.

Here's how you can reach our technical support: 

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel.
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

You're always welcome to post here in QuickBooks Community if you have any other concerns. Have a good one. 

Experienced Member

Sutton001,

Has QB tech been able to resolve your issue yet? I've been having the same issue for months and haven't found any resolutions posted. I see you have spent a lot of your valuable time trying to get this fixed and it appears to be a waste to go through all of that myself until QB has an answer that works. Thanks in advance for your feedback.