cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Quickbooks for Mac

Hello

Is it possible for a Mac user to use Quickbooks without going through Parallels Desktop? That is our current system and it is mediocre at best?

Thank you for your help

Carol

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Quickbooks for Mac

Hi there, @HLM1.

You may need to convert your company file to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Let me add some details about this and help you from there.

You don't need to go through Parallels Desktop to access QuickBooks from your Mac computer. You'll only need to download QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.

When you open your company file and is under windows, that's when you need to convert your file to QuickBooks for Mac. Note that if you have a payroll in your company file, it won't be included in the conversion.

Kindly follow these steps in converting your file from windows:

1. Update QuickBooks to the latest release.
  2. Open the company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
  3. Re-sort your lists.
  4. Run the Verify and Rebuild Data Utilities.
  5. Click on File from the menu bar.
  6. Choose Utilities, then click on Copy Company File for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
  7. Save your company file in your desired location.
  8. Send your company file over to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac using an external drive, DVD or flash drive.

But if the file you're opening is not for windows, you'll only need to download the Mac version.

You can follow these steps in installing QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:

1. Search for the QuickBooks version.
  2. Click on Download.
  3. Double-click on the downloaded installer.
  4. Drag the QuickBooks icon to the Applications folder.
  5. Double-click the QuickBooks icon to open the application.

You can refer to these articles for more information:

You can always let me know if you have any other questions. I'll only be a post away.

Thank you for your help. One more question, if I download this, will our ministry be charged or will this just be considered an upgrade?

Thank you

Carol

Thanks for reaching back out, @HLM1.

Allow me to provide some clarifications about downloading the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.

If you don't have any QuickBooks Desktop subscription, you'll be charged upon downloading your desired QuickBooks. To know more about this process, please read through this article: Mac is back.

However, if you need additional assistance with this procedure, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care Team. They'll be able to further discuss this matter with you and guide you with the steps.

This should get you pointed in the right track.

Please let me know how things turns out or if there's anything else I can do to help. Wishing you and your business continued success!