cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrades
Level 1

Quickbooks is crashing when I try to import an invoice IIF file from a 3rd party source

I'm trying to import an IIF file.  I have it narrowed down to a a particular day.  However, when looking at the information nothing is jumping out at me as being wrong.  What things in the IIF file could cause me issue?  Quickbooks literally crashes every time I try so i don't even get a particular line error or anything.  Any help would be so much appreciated!!

Thank you!

Lorri

7 Comments 7
SophiaAnnL

Quickbooks is crashing when I try to import an invoice IIF file from a 3rd party source

Let's update QuickBooks to stop it from crashing again, Lorri.

Behaviors like this occur when you have an outdated release version of the software. It could also be that there are damaged file components within the program. Updating the release resolves issues like this so you can import the IIF files into QuickBooks.

To update within the product:

1. Click the QuickBooks Desktop menu.
  2. Select Check for Updates.
  3. Click Install Update if there's an available update.
  4. Click Install and Relaunch when prompted.

You can also update QuickBooks Server for Mac if there's a new update. Here's an article for the steps: Update QuickBooks Mac Desktop.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

lrades
Level 1

Thank you for the response.  I just purchased the Mac addition yesterday and installed it.  I confirmed I'm on the latest edition.  I did an expert on my company file and imported that.  Then ran the utility to clean it up and make sure they're are no errors.  So this keeps happening with this one date and in bill pay tons of cleared bills are showing up in there.

AdamABCS
Level 1

I have this same problem with 2017 Premier Version for windows. I did an update and it still crashes.

Any other ideas?

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, lrades.

I'm here to guide you to the right support so you can get the help you need. 

Good to know that you have the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Since you're importing an invoice file using a third party application, I encourage you to give them a call. They have the tools to check what causing this issue and guide with the process on how you can import the file from your the third party app to QuickBooks Mac successfully. 

Please know that you're always welcome to post again if you have any other questions. Have a good one. 

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @AdamABCS.

Thanks for sharing the solution you've performed in order to resolve the issue. I have additional steps to try, so you'll be able to work within QuickBooks without it crashing.

You can start by opening a sample company file. Here's how:
1.    From the No Company Open window, select Open a sample file.
2.    Select any sample file on the list.

Once done, import the IIF file to QuickBooks. If you didn't encounter any issues, log back into your company file and run the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility Tool. 

Doing so will help resolve any data damage. To do that, follow the steps below:

Rebuild Data:
1.    Go to the File menu.
2.    Choose Utilities, then select Rebuild Data.
3.    Select OK on the QuickBooks Information window.
4.    Follow the prompt to save a backup.
5.    When you see Rebuild has completed, click OK.

Verify Data:
1.    Go to the File menu.
2.    Choose Utilities, then select Verify Data.
3.    If you see QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, click OK. You can continue using the company file.
4.    If Verify finds an issue with your data, you’ll be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors.
5.    Select Close.

Check out the following article for more information: Resolve data damage on your company file.

That should do it. Please give this a try and let me know how it goes. If you need additional assistance working with QuickBooks, leave a reply below. I'll be here to help you out. Thanks for dropping by and take care!

DanaC1
Level 1

I have followed the suggestion above to open a sample company and attempt to import the iif file and even when doing that QB closes. Please help! I have a batch of around 80 invoices that clients are sending payment for (so obviously they were in Quickbooks at one point) but are missing, so I need to re import them and every time quickbooks closes

FritzF

Thanks for joining this conversation, @DanaC1.

Since you've already followed the steps shared by my colleagues above and the issue persists, I highly suggest contacting our Phone Support team so they can check your QuickBooks using their screen-sharing (remote access) tool. They can also perform other troubleshooting steps that can help fix this odd behavior for you.

Here's how to reach them:

1. In QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT), go to the Help menu at the top to get to the QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  2. Select Contact Us at the bottom to connect with our live support.

Just in case, I'll add these articles for future reference:

I want to make sure everything is taken care of for you, so please let me know if you have any other issues or concerns in the comment below. I'm always here to assist. Have a good one!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us