cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

Reapply a credit card payment

A customer that gets monthly invoices calls to pay their current invoice by CC.  I notice that their February invoice isn't paid, so I ask them if they want to pay that as well.  They state that the February invoice was paid on 2/12, and send me a copy of their CC statement to prove.

I trace down the transaction, and find that the amount was credited to a customer called "Quickbooks Customer" instead of my client.

Is there a way to move the payment from "Quickbooks Customer" to the outstanding client invoice?  The payment has already been reconciled.

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Reapply a credit card payment

Hello there, @e2346437.

You'll be happy to know that you can transfer a credit card payment from one client to another. And I'd be glad to help you with this.

Since the deposit was already reconciled, we'll need to re-add the payment by duplicating the payment for the correct client. Here's how:

1. Go to the Customer menu, select Receive Payments.
  2. Create a duplicate payment for the correct customer.
  3. Hit Save & Close.

Then, delete the original payment and recreate payment line in the (reconciled) deposit.

1. From the Banking menu, select Make Deposits.
  2. Click the Cancel button at the bottom of the Payments to Deposit window.
  3. In the Make Deposit page, click the Previous button until you find the deposit containing the original payment.
  4. Go to the Payments button, then open the Payment to deposit window again.
  5. Select the newly created payment, then click OK to add it to the previously reconciled deposit.
  6. In the Make Deposits window, choose the original payment.
  7. From the Edit menu, select Delete Line.
  8. Hit Save & Close to replace the original payment with the new payment.
  9. Click Yes to confirm the changes.

Lastly, delete the original payment.

1. Go to the Customer menu, select Receive Payments.
  2. In the Recieve Payments page, click the Previous button to find the original payment.
  3. Click the Edit menu and select Delete Payment.
  4. Hit OK to confirm then Save & Close.

Once completed, the payment will transfer to the correct client without messing up your deposit that was already been reconciled.

I've got you an article for the detailed steps and information: Correct Customer Payments that have been Deposited or Reconciled.

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBDT Self-help.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about QuickBooks Desktop. I'll be around if you need any help.