cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Report detail not showing

When I click on data in a report for detail, nothing happens.  Same for my registers.  If I click on a transaction - nothing.  Just started happening.  Help!!!

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Report detail not showing

It's possible that the transaction is corrupted which is why it won't open, Karin.

We can do the Verify and Rebuild process to make sure your file is in good condition. It will fix any data-integrity issues detected within your system. You can follow the steps in this article: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop.

Then, you can update the QuickBooks release version.

Afterwards, you try pulling up the transaction again.

Let me know how this goes so I can give you a hand if necessary. Have a great day!

Experienced Member

I verified the data and had no problems.  If I vie a report - P&L for example, and click on a number to get the drilled down detail, nothing happens.  I have tried several different kinds of reports. 

I am getting the detail when I click on a check register transaction so that seems to be fine now.  THis is a new problem.  I updated to 2019 yesterday, but this started a couple days before that.  I was hoping the upgrade would solve it but it did not.

QuickBooks Team

Allow me to step into this conversation, karin1525.

I'm here to get this sorted out so you'll be able to navigate the software without any further issues.

I'd love to take care of everything myself, however, since none of the troubleshooting steps work, I recommend repairing QuickBooks. Doing that typically resolves common behaviors like this.

Before doing so, let's make sure to create a backup copy of your company file. 

To repair QuickBooks, please follow these steps:

1. Open Control Panel, click on Programs, and go to Programs and Features.
  2. Select Uninstall or change a program.
  3. Choose QuickBooks and then click on Uninstall/Change.
  4. If prompted, click on Continue and choose Next.
  5. Click on Finish and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

You can also check out this article for further guidance: Fix QuickBooks Desktop (Windows).

That should do it. Please let me know how it goes by leaving a message below. I want to make sure everything you're all set with this concern.

Experienced Member

I followed the steps.  The repair part went smoothly.  Rebooted, and no change.  I still have the problem.   :-(

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for the quick response, karin1525.

I’m happy to know the repair process went smoothly. Let’s try some new steps to get past the issue.

To help you get back on track, you’ll have to uninstall and reinstall the software. The latter is required when QuickBooks Desktop’s function is damaged and only a fresh download will correct the problem.

Before proceeding, make sure to create a backup copy of the company file to avoid accidental loss. Next, uninstall the software to start on a clean slate.

Here's how:

1. On your computer, click on the Windows Start menu.
  2. In the search field, enter Control Panel.
  3. On the Control Panel page, choose Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
  4. Select QuickBooks Desktop, then choose Uninstall/Change.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to uninstall the program.

After completing the process, you can now install QuickBooks via clean install tool.  This process automatically renames the old installed folders.

To perform a clean install:

1. Click on the Download link found in this article and go directly to Step 4.
  2. Save the file and make sure to keep it on the location where you can easily find it.
  3. Open the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe.
  4. Select Yes allowing the app to make changes on the computer.
  5. Mark the box for I Accept on the license agreement.
  6. Choose your QuickBooks version and product version, and select Continue.
  7. Click OK once you see the Please install your copy of QuickBooks to the default location prompt.

Once done, you’ll have to install the software. Here’s an article with detailed instructions and a video tutorial: Install QuickBooks Desktop.

These steps should get you back on track.

Let me know how this turns out or if you need further assistance with these steps by leaving me a comment. I'll be right here ready to help.

Experienced Member

The repair process went smoothly but IT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM.  I upgraded to quickbooks 2019 yesterday.  I had the problem before the upgrade.  So in the process of upgrading, installing the new version etc. it did not correct my issue.  It sounds like you want me to do what I essentially did yesterday.  I am getting pretty frustrated with this. Smiley Sad

QuickBooks Team

Hi, @karin1525.

Thanks for getting back to us in the Community. Allow me to chime in and help make sure that your issue about the report details that are not showing is taken care of.

First and foremost, I appreciate you performing all the troubleshooting steps that were provided by my colleagues on this thread. Since the issue persists, I highly suggest contacting our Phone Support team. They the have tools like screen-sharing (remote access) to check your company file in a secure environment and investigate this further. They can also perform other troubleshooting steps and fix this for you.

Please refer to this article for the detailed steps on how to reach them: Contact the QuickBooks Desktop Customer Support Team.

After contacting them, I'm confident that you'll be able to get rid of this issue.

Please comment below to let me know how it goes or if you have any follow-up questions. I'm always here should you need further assistance. Take care and have a good one.