cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Ridiculous Data transfer from PC to PC

A friend of mine tried to move her quickbooks from one computer to another.  The transfer process for backing up and restoring files is ridiculous for this program.  I'm shocked they're still in business.  Does anyone know how I can get the files from only the ADR files onto her new computer?  When I load them following this silly process there are years of invoices missing from it.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

7 Comments
BRC
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Ridiculous Data transfer from PC to PC

I don't know why you think that, but if you want you can just copy the files like any other files.  There's no reason to use backup and restore except for convenience.

A backup and restore process cannot possibly result in missing transactions.  A backup is like a ZIP file. It's a compressed archive.   The files that come out of it will be identical to those that go into it.

If after a restore the data seems different than before the backup, then the restored file is not the same file that was backed up (a different backup was restored.)

Experienced Member

I have the backup and I restored the backup but it's still missing years of files.  I also have the ADR files and I used those to restore the files and there are still years of files missing.  It's not allowing me to back it up even though it says there are no files corrupted after checking the database.  Not to mention all of the files you have to manually move according to the directions on the quickbooks help page.

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Dieselchick.

We'd want to make sure that all transactions are intact when moving files from one computer to another. Our Technical Support Team have additional tools that can check why there are missing files and transactions. They can also check why you're not able to create a back up. Here's how:

1. Open this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop, then select the version that you're using.
  3. Click Solving Issues and Error Messages.
  4. Click Common Errors, then click Get Phone Number.

Let me know if you need anything else.

BRC

Re: I would suggest contacting our Technical Support Team for us to check why you're not able to create a back up.

What?  The OP never stated they could not create a backup.  There is no way to infer that from their question.

Experienced Member

I mis-worded where I wrote "It's not allowing me to back it up even though it says there are no files corrupted after checking the database." It's not allowing me to restore the files.  From the backup or the ADR files.  I was taken to a page that had a list of files to move manually and I was also taken to directions on how to use the ADR files and none of them are working.  Even when I manually open the files in quickbooks it's only giving me files up until 2014.  The backup is from 2018.  It doesn't make any sense.  I followed the directions step by step and nothing has worked.  

QuickBooks Team

Hey there, Dieselchick.

Allow me to take over and help you restore the files in QuickBooks Desktop.

There are a few possible reasons why we can't restore your backup copy in QuickBooks.

It could be that the company file name includes a special character or the backup was restored over an existing file. It could also be that it was restored from a flash drive to a network drive or the file you are trying to restore isn't an actual backup file.

We have several solutions for this, the first solution may resolve the problem, or you may need to try all of them to resolve the issue. Please perform the solutions in the order shown.

1. Remove special character (/ \ < > ! $) from the file name for your company file.
  2. Avoid overwriting an existing file when you restore your backup.
  3. Copy your backup from your flash drive or network drive before restoring it.
  4. Use the same or newer version of QuickBooks when restoring your backup.
  5. Copy a backup file to a new folder before restoring it.
  6. Your company file is damaged and needs to be repaired.
  7. Got an error Restore failed.

I've got some articles that contains more information about this:

If you'd like to go through this over the phone, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Agents have the necessary tools like screen-sharing to get you back up and running.

Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Should you need anything else, don't hesitate to fill me in. Have a good one.

These are Not the same at all: "From the backup or the ADR files."

The adr or Automatic Data Recovery is part of the function along with the tlg = transaction Log File. the TLG clears itself when you made a backup with the option for complete verification.

If you keep getting an incomplete File, from the Backup, you cannot find the missing transactions elsewhere. The ADR and TLG are part of helping the QBW stay on track.

All you do is: Make a Backup = .qbb. Move it to the new computer that has the program installed. Use that for the Restore function, to create a .qbw from it.

And if you don't make the QBB from the current working file, the .qbw, than you won't have All the data, by definition.

adr and tlg are disaster recovery tools. Not for moving the Company File to another computer.

And there are associated utility files and subfolders that go along with the qbw, which is why moving the qbw is not always enough info, either.