cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Established Member

Sales Tax Liability Report

The Taxable Sales reported in the Sales Tax Liability Report do not agree with the Taxable Sales shown in the Profit & Loss Statement. How do I find detail for Taxable Sales in the Sales Tax Liability Report to compare with the Profit & Loss Taxable Sales?

3 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Sales Tax Liability Report

Hi Medickinson,

The reason for this is not all sales in the Profit and Loss report might be taxable. We'll find out the details.

You can use the Profit and Loss Detail report, and add the TAXABLE AMOUNT column to show how much sales are only taxable. That amount should match to the taxable sales amount in your Sales Tax Liability report.

To run the report:

1. Go to Reports and search for Profit and Loss Detail.
  2. Click the small Gear Icon above the report.
  3. Click Show more and place a check mark in the Taxable Amount checkbox.
  4. Click on Run Report.

Please be sure that both reports have the same date range and report method used. These conditions are also needed to match so you'll get the same amount.

Please join us back here if you have additional questions.

Experienced Member

I am having a problem where my P&L doesn't reconcile to my gross sales on my sales tax report. The way the reporting or feature functions in QBO makes this nearly impossible to sort out, and in my state, we need to tie out gross sales to our sales tax reports. Having this mimic Desktop, or at least provide enhanced reporting around these numbers, would be a huge improvement!

Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for joining this thread, jenniha.

QuickBooks Desktop indeed has more functionalities when it comes to reports. I will personally share your suggestion to our product development team to enhance the report features in QuickBooks Online (QBO), specially on tax reports.

To get your gross sales in QBO, you can run the Sales by Customer Detail Sales or by Customer Detail report. Then, set the date range and click on Run Report.

Please let me know if you have other questions.